Proof of Citizenship/Legal Presence
All Winthrop University students must present proof of citizenship or legal presence in the U.S. before enrolling. This policy has been adopted by the University in order to comply with section 59-101-430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, as amended, which requires that lawful presence in the United States is verified before enrollment at any public institution of higher education. Verification of immigration status for non-citizens will be conducted by International student officials. For other students, a proof of citizenship verification process has been adopted to deter and prevent false claims of citizenship by unlawful aliens attempting to evade the eligibility requirements of section 59-101-430. Winthrop will do all it can to verify citizenship using other means, but many students will be contacted to complete a verification form and present proof of citizenship in the form of the following acceptable documents:
- Copy of a South Carolina Driver’s License if first licensed after January 1, 2002
- Current and valid driver’s license or ID from the following states (if your state is not on this list, it is not eligible): Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine (issued after 11.15.08), Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nebraska (issued after 10.1.2009), North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
- Copy of Certified Birth Certificate indicating birth in the United States or a territory of the United States, with given name and surname, date and place of birth, date birth record was filed and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of the record.
- Copy of Current US Passport
- Copy of Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS Form N-550 or N-570)
- Copy of US government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Copy of Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
- Copy of Unexpired US Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card (DOD DD-2)
- Statement of employment from a South Carolina public school
If name has changed since birth, student must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate, certificate of naturalization, and court ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the birth certificate or proof of citizenship to the present.
The International Center will verify all F/J visa holder through SEVIS at the beginning of the fall and spring semester during SEVIS Registration and will verify all other non-immigrant visa holders, including permanent residents, through the SAVE program prior to initial enrollment at Winthrop and then yearly at the beginning of each fall semester for the duration of their enrollment at Winthrop University.
The Office of Records and Registration can accept photocopies of documents so long as we reserve the right to demand production of the certified original in the event we have any questions about whether the copy is true and accurate, or in the event any of the information on the copy is unreadable.