INSTRUCTIONS ON UNIVERSITY-WIDE UNDERGRADUATE PETITION PROCESS
Please read carefully!
Undergraduate students may appeal for exception to university policy in the general education requirements and other university-wide academic regulations. For students petitioning academic suspension or dismissal, click here.
Procedures for petitioning are as follows:
1. Completely fill out the University-Wide Undergraduate Petition form. The form is available online or in the Office of Records and Registration, 126 Tillman Hall. All petitions must be typed or printed neatly in black ink. Any petition which is missing information, illegible, unclearly worded, or contains ambiguous information will not be considered. Such a petition will be returned to the student to be rewritten.
2. In writing your petition request, specify the rule and/or regulation defined by University Policy. In writing your petition justification, explain why the exception has been requested.
3. Compose and attach a typed letter or personal statement explaining your case, your petition request and your justification/grounds of your petition, if needed, fur further explanation. Include a well thought out action plan, if applicable.
4. Attach any supporting documentation that will help to explain and justify your petition. If applicable, include supporting information from faculty members, medical/health care providers, other persons (please specify), or other evidence documenting the exceptional circumstances that are the basis of your petition.
5. Before filing this petition, an authorized signature must be obtained.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor regarding this petition and obtain his/her signature. If the advisor is unavailable, obtain a signature from the Department Chair or Director of Student Services from your college.
- The offices are: Arts and Sciences: 106 Kinard, 323-2183; Business Administration: 228 Thurmond, 323-4833; Education: 144 Withers, 323-4750; Visual and Performing Arts: 124 McLaurin, 323-2465.
6. Return completed petition to the Office of Records and Registration in 126 Tillman Hall. The University-Wide Undergraduate Petitions Committee will act on the petition at its next regularly scheduled meeting. The Office of Records and Registration will notify the student of the committee’s decision.
FOR INFORMATION ON MEETING DATES, VISIT THE REGISTRATION CALENDAR AT OR CONTACT THE OFFICE OF RECORDS AND REGISTRATION AT 803-323-2194.