Values-Based Contemporary Education
…in a traditional setting of exceptional beauty
For additional examples of how our values are manifest in all we do, please explore our Web site and My Winthrop Experience.
For 20+ years, a set of values has shaped Winthrop's successes, supported our development, and kept us focused during good as well as challenging times. The values—service, excellence, diversity, community and leadership—speak to what this institution stands for clearly and concisely. Any institution can claim to have values, but we live ours. They are reflected in the promises we keep to our constituents:
- We offer a challenging curriculum measured by national standards of quality.
- We attract high achieving, diverse and socially responsible students.
- We support a highly qualified faculty dedicated to teaching and learning
- We emphasize personal identity and close relationships within a community of learners.
- We challenge students to master concepts that will help them succeed in a rapidly changing world.
- We provide a dynamic educational experience that prepares students to live, learn and lead for a lifetime.
Service… we serve our future by preparing tomorrow's leaders, and we serve our country by delivering on its investment in higher education
Learn more…..Core Commitments, Campus Compact, Community Service, Winthrop Poll
Excellence…we embrace only those programs and activities we can deliver at an exemplary level.
Learn more….Accreditation, NSSE, Undergraduate Research, Awards and Accolades
Diversity….we recognize that diversity gives meaning to our sense of community, enhances creativity, teaches flexibility, and builds strength from difference.
Learn more….McNair Scholars, TRiO, International Center, Fulbright & Other Exchange Programs, Multicultural Student Life, Beating the Odds
Community…we share the commitment of leaving Winthrop and the surrounding area better places for our having been here.
Learn more…Community Engagement, President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll,
State Department's Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program, Reading Tent Project, West Forum on Politics and Policy
Leadership…we respond to change, act in good faith, and make wise decisions.
Learn more…Vision of Distinction (pdf - 130 kb), Leadership Studies Program, U.S. Department of Education Grant, Network of Leaders for Equity, Achievement, and Development (NetLEAD), NEW Leadership Institute, George Bush Institute