Traffic and Parking
Regular vehicle registration is for one academic year beginning with the first day of registration for the fall semester and ending with the first day of fall registration the following year.
- Motor vehicles parked on Winthrop property by F/S and students must be registered with Campus Police.
- All vehicles parked on university property must bear either a regular parking permit or a visitor's permit.
- Faculty/Staff may register two vehicles for $25 each.
- Permits are not transferable to another vehicle.
- Permits are required for all faculty, staff, and student employees who work and park at the coliseum, sports fields, and lake areas.
- Replacement permits are $5.00 each with old permit or proper paper work. Lost or misplaced permits will not be considered as replacements.
- Students are only entitled to register one vehicle at $75. Courtyard residents may register one vehicle at $50. However, in certain circumstances, the Chief of Campus Police may permit a student to register two vehicles.
- The registrant of a vehicle is responsible for parking violations issued to his or her vehicle.
- Temporary parking permits are available 24/7 from Campus Police.
- Temporary permits will be valid for one week and upon expiration this permit can be extended if necessary. Three temporary permits in an academic year are permitted before a $1 a week fee is assessed.
- Temporary registration of vehicles is for Faculty/Staff and students who have a current permit and will not be able to utilize the vehicle to which their current permit is affixed.
- Current Winthrop students are not considered visitors and must have a permit.
- Visitor registration for 24 hours or less is free of charge.
- Visitors remaining on campus overnight and individuals attending conferences and short courses must obtain visitor parking permits at the conference registration area or with Campus Police.
- Visitors to Winthrop University that desire to park on university property must obtain a visitor parking permit for a limited time from Campus Police.