Planning ahead can save your life
Here are some things that you should know about your apartment or residence hall:
- The layout of your floor
- Location of stair exits
- Number of doors between your room and the exit stairs - you may need to find the stairs in the dark
- Location of the pull stations on your floor
- Location of fire extinguishers
Things To Do
- Keep a flashlight ready and in a handy place.
- Report fire hazards to your R.A.
- Keep your hallway clean and free of trash, furniture, etc. and make sure these items are stored properly and collected regularly
- Be careful not to overload electrical circuits and use approved electrical extension cords - short circuits are the cause of many fires.
- Cook with care - double check the stove to make sure it is turned off before you leave the area
- Do not leave food unattended while cooking
- Never smoke in bed and make sure there are no smoldering butts when you empty ashtrays
- Make sure you exit from your room during a fire drill to a designated area
If There Is A Fire
- Stay Calm!
- Check your door (for warmth) before exiting your room
- Activate the fire alarm or call the Campus Police Department at ext. 3333
- Alert others by knocking on doors
- Exit by using the nearest stairwell to you
- If your hall is filled with smoke, stay low while exiting
- Do not use the elevator