Spring Orientation 2015
The Office of New Student and Family Programs is very excited that you have been admitted to Winthrop University! In order to assist you with your transition, Spring Orientation for students and families will be held on Friday, January 9 for all freshmen and transfer students.
Please note that the Spring Orientation session is not an overnight session. Residential students will move into their assigned residence hall room on Thursday, January 8. Commuter students will return to their off-campus residences at the end of the program on Friday, January 9.
Spring Orientation Registration Information
- All new students should register for Spring Orientation through their enrollment checklist. Students can also register parents and family members attending Spring Family Orientation.
- Registration for Spring Orientation will open on Friday, October 31 and will close on Wednesday, January 7 at 5 p.m.
- Spring Orientation will begin at 8 a.m. and last until 5 p.m., with optional evening activities, so please plan accordingly. While you may finish before 5 p.m., we cannot guarantee it. You must be present at the entire Orientation session to fully register for courses for the Spring semester.
Drafts of the Spring Student and Family Orientation Schedules are available below as a PDF. You will be given a final schedule when you check in for Orientation.
Spring Student Orientation Schedule (Freshman and Transfer) (PDF)
Spring Family Orientation Schedule (PDF)
Residential Student Information
- If you will be living on campus for the Spring 2015 semester, you should plan to move into your assigned residence hall room on Thursday, January 8 from 3 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Room assignments will be provided to you by the Department of Residence Life. Please contact them directly at 803/323-2223 with questions about your room assignment.
- You will check in at your assigned residence hall to receive your room key.
- After moving into your room, your Orientation events will begin at 8 a.m. on Friday morning.
Placement Test Information
- Students taking the Mathematics Placement Exam (if required by your major) should request a code online by Wednesday, January 7 and complete the exam by Thursday, January 8, as it will not be administered at Spring Orientation. Please visit www.winthrop.edu/cas/math/placement for more information on the test, including information on whether or not you will need to take it.
- The Foreign Language Placement Test will be administered during Spring Orientation on Friday, January 9 from 12-1 p.m. in 307 Kinard. Students in majors that require a foreign language who wish to continue in their study of French, German, or Spanish should plan to take the test. You do NOT need to take the test if you plan on starting a new language or are in a major that does not require a foreign language. Please visit www.winthrop.edu/cas/worldlanguages/placement for more information on the test, including information on whether or not you will need to take it.
- Family Orientation is being offered on Friday, January 9 for parents and family members of new students. There is $10 registration fee for each parent and family member attending Spring Family Orientation.
- Registration for Family Orientation is available through the student’s enrollment checklist.
Welcome Weekend Activities
- Join your Adult Student Mentors for events designed to make your first weekend as a Winthrop student great!
- Events begin Saturday, January 10. More information about Welcome Weekend activities will be available in December.
- Contact the the Resource Center for Adult Students at 803/323-4784 or via email at email@example.com with questions about Welcome Weekend events.
Family members who need to make overnight accommodations for Spring Orientation can utilize our host hotel, Hampton Inn Rock Hill. Hampton Inn Rock Hill is providing a discounted rate for family members attending Spring Orientation. To reserve a room at the Hampton Inn, please click HERE.
International students should contact the International Center at 803/323-2133 regarding orientation requirements and accommodations.
Students with Disabilities
In order to better accommodate the needs of any student or family member with a disability, please contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs at 803/323-2387 or the Office of Disability Services at 803/323-3290.
Questions or Concerns
Contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs at 803/323-2387 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.