New Student Checklist
These checklists were created to help identify tasks that should be completed prior to your enrollment at Winthrop. To make your transition to Winthrop as smooth as possible, we highly encourage you to follow all three checklists and complete each task.
- Review your admissions enrollment checklist to ensure that you have completed all of the steps to commit to enrolling at Winthrop.
- Register for Orientation
- Create your Winthrop e-mail account
- Complete the Online Housing Application
- Complete the online Math Placement Test that is mandatory for students in specific majors. Failure to complete the test before your advising session may adversely affect your ability to register for courses. Click here for complete information.
- Review information to determine if you are required to take either the Foreign Language or Chemistry Placement Tests while at Orientation.
- Complete the Immunization Form and submit it to Health Services.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Submit the requested residency form to the Office of Admissions if you are currently classified as a non-resident for tuition payment purposes. (The requested form can be viewed on your admissions enrollment checklist.)
- Review the information on South Carolina’s legal presence law that is provided on the Records and Registration website.
- Review Winthrop’s website and jot down any specific questions you may want to ask at Orientation
- Submit your final high school transcripts to the Office of Admissions by June 15
- Submit your final college transcripts to the Office of Admissions by June 1. Failure to submit the transcript by this deadline will affect your ability to register for a Winthrop course if you have taken the prerequisite course at another college or university. *
- Contact your personal admissions counselor if you have questions about enrolling at Winthrop.
* Note that students will be notified when the Office of Admissions has received and evaluated your Advanced Placement and/or International Baccalaureate scores.
- Attend all scheduled sessions
- Complete required Placement Test(s) if needed
- Attend your Academic Unit Meeting and Advising session
- Have your Winthrop ID made (15 Tillman Hall)
- Submit your completed Immunization Forms to Health Services during Orientation Check-In or at 217 Crawford Building (if not already mailed in)
- Complete course registration and leave with a full schedule
- Meet at least one person who can be a resource during Orientation and after enrollment.
- Ask questions, have fun!
- Check your Winthrop e-mail daily; e-mail is Winthrop’s primary form of communication with you.
- Register for your Campus Parking Permit using your Wingspan log-in information.
- Sign up for WU Alert- an emergency information texting system
- Contact your roommate to plan for move-in
- Visit Residence Life website for move-in updates
- Purchase a Meal Plan, Cafe Cash, and Bookstore Bucks
- Register your valuables (laptop, bicycle, etc.) with Winthrop University Campus Police
- All tuition and fees must be paid (Cashiers Office-22 Tillman Hall) or a payment plan must be established (Controller’s Office-19 Tillman Hall) to avoid cancellation of your class schedule.
- Books can be purchased and/or rented from The Winthrop Bookstore
- Download WU Watch Safety App on your smartphone
- Residential students can find your PO Box information on Wingspan
- Become familiar with the Cultural Events policy and find out information on requirements and upcoming events.
- Complete the “Unless There’s Consent” program requirements
- Attend one Academic Success Center Tutee Seminar in order to be eligible for free tutoring services during the academic year. These seminars are offered every Friday at 2 p.m. in Dinkins Hall.
- Explore taking College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests to earn college credit prior to school starting. Contact Susan Sistar via email at email@example.com.