Community & Visitors Parents & Families Future Students Current Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff
04/19/2006

Alumni Return to Campus This Weekend for Reunion Celebration

Quick Facts

 Winthrop's Alumni Reunion Celebration will be held April 21-23.
 Classes from 1931-1976, especially those classes with years ending in 1 or 6, will meet this year.

ROCK HILL, S.C. - The Alumni Reunion Celebration at Winthrop, which will be held April 21-23, will reunite alumni for class reunions and a tour of the renovated Little Chapel.

The classes from 1931-1976, particularly those classes whose years end in a 1 or a 6, will meet this year. Many of the classes celebrate their reunion parties on campus, in the homes of local alumni and at local restaurants and clubs. Each class has a local hotel/motel serving as its reunion headquarters.

The weekend events also will feature a 12:30 p.m. luncheon Saturday in McBryde Hall. One of the highlights of this event will be the awarding of recipients for their outstanding professional and community endeavors. The winners are: Alumni Professional Achievement Award – JoAnn Deason Federspiel '56 of Nashville, Tenn., and Louise Pettus '46 of Rock Hill; Alumni Distinguished Service Award – Laura Manheim Hewitt '61 of Charleston, S.C.; Mary Mildred Sullivan Award – Mary Katherine Clarkson Butler '46 of Darlington, S.C.; and Outstanding Young Alumni Award – Shane Duncan '98 of Simpsonville, S.C.

"We love to welcome our alumni on campus to remember fond memories of their college years," said Debbie Garrick, executive director of alumni relations.

Alumni Reunion Celebration 2006 will offer plenty of reminders about Winthrop over the decades. The old blue uniforms, rat caps and other memorabilia from when Winthrop was an all-female college will be on display from 9 a.m.-noon and 2-3 p.m. Saturday at the Little Chapel, which underwent renovations last fall.

The Little Chapel was designed in the Federal style by architect Robert Mills, a South Carolinian famous for his design of the Washington Monument. In 1886, when David Bancroft Johnson founded Winthrop, known then as the Winthrop Training School for Teachers, the chapel became the original classroom for this innovative new school. In 1936 the chapel was given to Winthrop, and the structure was moved to Rock Hill, where it was reconstructed brick by brick.

During the weekend, there will be bus tours from 2-5 p.m. Friday and from 9-11:30 a.m. and 2-3:30 p.m. on Saturday, starting at McLaurin Hall. Tour guides will point out how much has changed, such as construction on the new Lois Rhame West Health, Physical Education and Wellness Center on the west side of the campus, and how much has stayed the same.

Winthrop professors will tell alumni Saturday morning about the university’s public art, give demonstrations for family and consumer sciences and for food and nutrition and tell about residential living for today’s college students.

On Sunday, there will be a ring ceremony at 3 p.m. in Tillman Auditorium to showcase the university’s official ring. Now in its third year, the ceremony is fast becoming one of the university’s most popular traditions.

For more information, contact Garrick at 803/323-2145.


[Back to Previous Page]