ROCK HILL, S.C. - The College of Visual and Performing Arts' Department of Theatre and Dance will host the Rock Hill Community Theatre's 2009 Short Play Festival Friday, Aug. 14-Sunday, Aug. 16, in Johnson Theatre on Winthrop's campus. Performances will be held at 8 p.m. on Aug. 14 and 15 and 3 p.m. on Aug. 16.
Formally known as the Down Home Play Festival, the 2009 Short Play Festival will include a lineup of six plays directed by advanced Winthrop theatre students and recent graduates. Russell Luke, instructor of theatre, will supervise student play direction. The featured plays will be:
- "Just Another Tomorrow" by Tom Bennett of Kings Mountain, N.C. (Director: Shannon Plowden)
- "And This Is…..?" by Perry Simpson of Lexington, S.C. (Director: Jake Catlet)
- "Judgment Daze" by Steven Fletcher of Charlotte, N.C. (Director: Courtney Blake)
- "Goodbye, We’ll Miss You" by Judy M. Dove of Raleigh, N.C. (Director: Julie Hammond)
- "The Cougar and The Bag Boy" by Eileen Marie Davis of Rock Hill (Director: David Hensley)
- "You-Gotta-Have-Lunch" by Sheri Marvin of Fort Mill, S.C. (Director: Katie Manley)
At each performance, audience members will vote for a favorite. A final tally on Sunday, Aug. 16, will decide the festival favorite. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for students and senior citizens and $5 for anyone with a Winthrop I.D. Tickets can be purchased at the door. Winthrop students can receive a Cultural Event Credit for attending one of these performances.
Presented by the Rock Hill Community Theatre and the Department of Theatre and Dance, the 2009 Short Play Festival is funded in part by grants from the S.C. Arts Commission and the Arts Council of York County United Arts Fund.
Contact Luke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803/323-3840 for more information about the festival.