COLUMBIA, S.C. – The S.C. State Library announced the selection of its most notable South Carolina state government documents of 2008, including a Winthrop University admissions publication.
The selection is announced annually on or near Freedom of Information Day, March 16, the birthday of President James Madison, an early proponent of citizen access to government information.
David Goble, state library director, presented the awards during a morning ceremony at the State Library. “As we celebrate Freedom of Information Day, I salute South Carolina state agencies that continue to make their information available to the public, either in print form or electronically. The agencies honored today continue a fine tradition of open government in the Palmetto State,” he said.
Accepting for Winthrop were Richie McCorkle, senior designer; Jill Stuckey, publications and digital imaging manager; and Megan Rolf, senior admissions counselor.
Librarians from state documents depository libraries around the state selected the winners from 30 of the 2,500 items received last year at the State Library and distributed to depositories. Elaine Sandberg, government documents librarian of the S.C. State Library, coordinated the judging and program for this 19th annual awards event.
The 2008 winners are:
* Faces of Homelessness: A Study of Homelessness in South Carolina. S.C. Council on Homelessness. http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/scedocs/H753/000851.pdf (electronic only)
* Little Pee Dee Scenic River Management Plan. S.C. Dept. of Natural Resources. N2197La 3.R36 No.45
* Native American Archaeology: Working Backward, Moving Forward. University of South Carolina Institute of Archaeology. Un35A 2.N17 http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/scedocs/Un35A/001210.pdf
* Planning for College. Alliance for Research on Higher Education. AL 55 8.P51 http://www.strom.clemson.edu/teams/alliance/familyguide/Family_Guide_for_Higher_Ed.pdf
* Practical Guide to Services for People with Severe Lifelong Disabilities. S.C. Dept of Disabilities and Special Needs. D6302C 3.S36
* SC Green Guide. S.C. Dept. of Health and Environmental Control. H3496 2.G63 http://www.scdhec.gov/administration/library/ML-025396.pdf
* A Teacher’s Guide to African American Historic Places in South Carolina. S.C. Dept of Archives and History. Ar255P 2.T31 http://shpo.sc.gov/res/Pages/Teachers.aspx
* The Winthrop Experience. Winthrop University. W7375AD 2.W457
* Lieutenant Governor’s Office on Aging, http://www.aging.sc.gov
* South Carolina Means Business. S.C. Dept of Commerce, http://www.sccommerce.com