ROCK HILL, S.C. – A former “American Idol” runner-up, daring Chinese acrobats, an awe-inspiring hypnotist, superheroes and poetry – the DiGiorgio Student Union has something for everyone with Welcome Week 2012.
The eight-day series of events, which runs Aug. 17-26, will kick off with Playfair, a session of icebreakers, games and presentations dedicated to helping students make new friends and to creating campus unity. Playfair is set for 8 p.m. Aug. 17 at the Lois Rhame West Health, Physical Education and Wellness Center.
Additional Welcome Week 2012 events include:
- Saturday, Aug. 18 – Matt Corey, voted Solo Artist of the Year by the Association for Promotion of Campus Activities, will rock out on the saxophone. Hard Rock Café international contest winner Hey Monea! will play with Corey and separately. The show begins at 8 p.m. in Byrnes Auditorium.
- Sunday, Aug. 19 – NBC “Last Comic Standing” comedian Cristela Alonzo will laugh it up before Recycled Percussion hits the stage. The group combines rhythmic grooves with mesmerizing percussion for a stand-out performance beginning at 8 p.m. in Byrnes.
- Monday, Aug. 20 – Atlanta soul singer Chantae Cann will provide the background music at the Convocation picnic at 5 p.m. on the front lawn (rain location: West Center). The concert is free. Sand Art Creations will have a booth for arts and crafts. One novelty is free with Welcome Week pass; additional novelties are $1 each.
- Tuesday, Aug. 21 and Wednesday, Aug. 22 – Watch one of the biggest box-office hits of all time, the superhero-heavy movie “The Avengers,” in Dina’s Place. Showings begin at 8 p.m. and are free with a fall movie pass, $2 with a Winthrop ID and $5 without one.
- Thursday, Aug. 23 – Hypnotist and crowd favorite Tom DeLuca, a Winthrop tradition, will hypnotize audience members during his 8 p.m. show in Byrnes.
- Friday, Aug. 24 – “American Idol” Season 4 runner-up Bo Bice will perform some of his Southern rock at 8 p.m. in Byrnes.
- Saturday, Aug. 25 – Emmy nominee and HBO Def Jam Poet Jon Goode and a cappella group Kazual, finalists on “America’s Got Talent,” take the stage at 8 p.m. in Byrnes.
- Sunday, Aug. 26 – The Golden Dragon Chinese Acrobats from Hebei, China, will honor the 27 centuries-old tradition of Chinese acrobats with a one-night-only performance at 7 p.m. in Byrnes.
All tickets are $10 general admission, $5 with Winthrop I.D. or free with a DSU Welcome Week pass unless otherwise noted.
View a full list of DSU Welcome Week events. View a Welcome Week video preview here. To purchase a Welcome Week 2012 pass or find out more information, contact Boyd Jones, university programs director, at 803/323-2108 or email@example.com.