ROCK HILL, S.C. - Winthrop's DiGiorgio Student Union will welcome students back to campus this fall with a full lineup of comedy, music, spoken word performances and more.
Welcome Week starts Saturday, Aug. 20, and features nine days of events, including two showings of Marvel's summer blockbuster "Thor" and a performance by hypnotist Tom Deluca, a Winthrop tradition. Welcome Week 2011 passes (good for DSU events Aug. 20-28) are $10/Winthrop I.D. and $20 for the public. Both showings of "Thor" are $2/Winthrop I.D. and $5/public.
The schedule for the week's festivities is as follows:
- Saturday, Aug. 20* – College entertainer of the year and ace fiddler Natalie Stovall and her band will kick off Welcome Week in Byrnes Auditorium. Saxophonist Matt Corey serves as special guest for the 8 p.m. concert.
- Sunday, Aug. 21** – Seven Nations will bring its blend of Celtic rock to Byrnes Auditorium with an 8 p.m. concert. Special guest will be comedian Mo Amer.
- Monday, Aug. 22 – Indie acoustic rock musician Hana Pestle will be the musical act for the free fall 2011 convocation picnic at 5 p.m. on the front lawn (outside Margaret Nance Hall). Rain location is the West Center.
- Tuesday, Aug. 23, and Wednesday, Aug. 24 – As part of Welcome Week 2011, DSU will show "Thor" at 8 p.m. nightly in Dina's Place. Admission is free with DSU Fall Movie Pass; $2/Winthrop I.D.; and $5/public.
- Thursday, Aug. 25 – Well-known hypnotist and popular entertainer Tom Deluca returns to campus at 8 p.m. in Byrnes Auditorium.
- Friday, Aug. 26 – Old school hip-hop American alternative Southern rap quintet Nappy Roots will perform at 8 p.m. in Byrnes Auditorium with special guest comedian/former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Dean Edwards.
- Saturday, Aug. 27** – Carlos Robson and The Asia Project, the 2011 APCA Spoken Word Artist of the Year, will deliver a night of spoken word at 8 p.m. in Byrnes Auditorium.
- Sunday, Aug. 28 – Be wowed by the magic and illusion of magician Mike Super at 7 p.m. in Byrnes Auditorium.
Admission to Welcome Week 2011 events (excluding the Aug. 23-24 showings of "Thor") is free with a DSU Welcome Week pass; $5/Winthrop I.D.; and $10/public.
To find out more or to purchase Welcome Week passes, contact Boyd Jones, university programs director, at 803/323-2108 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit DSU's website. Follow DSU on Facebook or Twitter at www.twitter.com/winthropdsu.
*approved cultural event for students
**approved cultural event and Global Learning Initiative-approved event for students