ROCK HILL, S.C. - From directing to staging and producing, the Department of Theatre and Dance’s Fall One-Act Festival can be a test of skill and will for theatre majors. Senior theatre major Devair Jeffries, however, relishes the challenge.
The Blythewood, S.C., native will direct her play "Hidden in Variation," a drama about a group of teens who don’t take sex or its consequences seriously, during the festival. She cowrote the play with her friend RaShaun Downs, a native of Sumter, S.C. They wrote the play for a theatre appreciation class project two years ago, then took a directing class and decided to have the play performed during the Fall One-Act Festival from Nov. 19-21 in Johnson Studio Theatre.
"Hidden in Variation" marks Jeffries’ directorial debut at Winthrop. Despite the challenges, the experience has solidified her drive to become a director.
"So far I’m really happy with how things have turned out and all the support I’ve gotten in the process," said Jeffries, who plans to pursue an M.A. in theatre after graduation. "As stressful as the experience has been, I have enjoyed it all. I love acting, but I feel like directing is my passion."
During the festival, Downs will take on a directorial role as well. She will direct Janie Nabers’ play "Juniper Jubilee." Additional Group A plays, which will be performed Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. and Nov. 20 at 2 p.m., include the following:
• "Juniper Jubilee" by Janie Nabers (drama)
• "Wanda’s Visit" by Christopher Durang (comedy)
Director: Melissa Frierson of Columbia, S.C.
• "Dinner with the Superfriends" by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (comedy)
Director: Brandi Bell of Queens, N.Y.
• "Bake Off" by Sheri Wilner (comedy)
Director: Cody Abshire of Liberty, S.C.
• Student play: “Hidden in Variation” by Jeffries and Downs
The Group B lineup, which runs Nov. 20 at 8 p.m. and Nov. 21 at 2 p.m., features the following four additional plays:
• "Bobby Gould in Hell" by David Mamet (comedy/drama)
Director: Nathan Rouse of Clover, S.C.
• "One Tennis Shoe" by Shel Silverstein (comedy)
Director: Lauren Acobe of Charleston, S.C.
• Student play: "Comedic Justice – Part I" by Adam Lamberts of Fort Mill, S.C. (farce)
Director: Tyler Wells of Rock Hill
• Student play: "Comedic Justice – Part II" by Lamberts (farce)
Tickets are $8 with Winthrop I.D. and $15 for the public. Late seating is not permitted, and seating is limited. Some plays may contain adult language and content.
Contact the box office at 803/323-4014 or email@example.com for tickets.