ROCK HILL, S.C. - The John C. West Forum on Politics and Policy will sponsor a number of events during the fall semester, including campaign stops, voter education efforts, a Constitution Day observance and public presentations on civic issues.
The first West Forum event will be Monday, Sept. 6 at 5 p.m. in Plowden Auditorium. Majorie Johnson, the Democratic Party nominee for S.C. Secretary of State and a retired public relations executive, will make a campaign stop on campus.
In November, South Carolina voters will elect all statewide constitutional officers, a U.S. senator, six members of the U.S. House of Representatives, the entire state House of Representatives and numerous local officials. The fall semester activities, according to West Forum Director Karen Kedrowski, include:
• A voter registration drive;
• Voter education efforts, which include:
- Campaign stops on campus by major party candidates for office;
- A voting machine demonstration in the DiGiorgio Campus Center;
- Voting FAQs on the West Forum web site.
• The Constitution Day observance, featuring Winthrop alumna Bobbi Gentry `04, which will focus on youth political engagement; and
• Public presentations on human trafficking and the implementation of civil rights legislation in the South in the 1970s-90s.
The West Forum, Winthrop’s latest civic engagement initiative, is funded through a generous gift from the family of the late Governor West. Its purpose is to be nonpartisan and to train the next generation of civic leaders in South Carolina. All of its activities are free and open to the public.
For more information, call the West Forum at 803/323-4584 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.