ROCK HILL, S.C. - Winthrop University will host many opportunities this holiday season for the community to come together in celebration.
The festivities vary from a Kwanzaa observance on Nov. 29 to the annual Festival of Carols, a cherished Winthrop tradition for the Rock Hill community on Dec. 5.
The Festival of Carols will begin with outdoor caroling by the Winthrop Glee Club and a tree-lighting in front of Tillman Hall at 6:30 p.m. Santa Claus will make a special appearance in his special sleigh. An indoor concert will follow in Byrnes Auditorium hosted by the Department of Music, beginning at 7 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.
Singing at the indoor concert will be musical groups, who will perform traditional and nontraditional Christmas songs. They are the university’s Ebonite Gospel Choir, the Rock Hill School District Three Elementary Honors Choir, the Sullivan Middle School Chamber Singers, the Rock Hill High School choir, Winthrop Glee Club and Jazz Voices, Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combos groups. Also, Jerry Helton and Meredith Nutter, both of the Department of Music, will give solo vocal performances during the hour-long concert.
The audience will be asked to sing along in some favorite Christmas carols, including "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "O Come, All Ye Faithful" and "Go Tell It on the Mountain."
Here are the holiday events scheduled over the next week:
• Nov. 29, 12th Annual Kwanzaa Celebration, 7 p.m., Tillman Auditorium, guest speaker, Maulana Karenga, the creator of Kwanzaa and its seven principles, free
• Nov. 29, Jazz Voices/Kristen Clark Trio, 8 p.m., Frances May Barnes Recital Hall, free
• Nov. 29-Dec. 8, World AIDS Day Commemoration Handmade Quilt Display, Dacus Library, free
• Dec. 1, World AIDS Day Celebration, 8 p.m., Tillman Auditorium, free
• Dec. 2, 16th Annual Holiday Pottery Sale, noon-6 p.m., Rutledge Basement, items sold from $5 to $100+
• Dec. 2, Hip-Hop Trio Scratch Track, 8 p.m., Dinkins Underground
• Dec. 2-3, Olde English Madrigal Feaste, 7 p.m., McBryde Hall, $32, reservations made by Nov. 28
• Dec. 2-3, Senior Dance Showcase, Friday, 8 p.m., Saturday, 2 p.m., Johnson Theatre, $5 Winthrop ID/$10 general admission
• Dec. 3, Acoustic Guitar Duo Ryanhood, 8 p.m., Dinkins Underground, $5 Winthrop ID/$7 general admission
• Dec. 3-4, Fall One-Act Play Festival, Saturday 5 and 8 p.m., Sunday, 2 and 8 p.m., Johnson Studio Theatre, $5 Winthrop ID/$10 general admission
• Dec. 4, Glee Club Concert, 4 p.m., Byrnes Auditorium, free
• Dec. 4, Association of Ebonites Gospel Choir Winter Concert, 5 p.m. Tillman Hall and Lawn, free
• Dec. 5, Festival of Carols, 6:30 p.m.; Tree Lighting at Tillman Hall, 7 p.m.; Holiday concert, Byrnes Auditorium, free