The Advisory Board for the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program hast completed its selections for the 2014-15 cohort of new participants. Applications were due in the McNair office by Friday, October 24, 2014 at 5 pm. If you are interested in applying for the program, please look for our next call for applications in September 2015.
A few notes about applications: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Complete applications submitted after the deadline may be considered for the waiting list, but only if there are insufficient applications submitted before the deadline. Information about the program and benefits is included below the application instructions on this page. If you would like to learn more about the program or your eligibility after you have reviewed this website, please contact Dr. Cheryl Fortner-Wood at 803/323-2125 or visit the program office (104 Dinkins Hall).
Want to find out if you are eligible to be a Winthrop McNair Scholar?
If you are interested in participating in the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program but do not know if you are eligible, complete the online survey, or make an appointment with program staff (803/323-2125) to inquire about your eligibility.
Only apply if you can say "yes" to all of the following.
- I am interested in going to graduate school.
- I am a U.S. Citizen or otherwise meet the citizenship requirement.
- I am either or both
- a first generation college student and come from a low-income family OR
- from a group underrepresented in higher education.
- I am available to participate in the McNair Summer Research Internship all day every weekday.
- I have a GPA of 3.0 or better and am enrolled at a four-year college or university in SC.
- I will have completed my sophomore year (at least 54 credit hours) by the end of the spring after the fall semester in which I will apply.
- I will graduate at least one semester after my McNair summer research experience.
Want to apply to participate in the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program? Complete Part 1 and Part 2 of the application.
- Part 1 - Part 1 will be used to establish your eligibility for the program. You must answer the questions and submit the online survey. Print and sign the last page of the survey and include this signed page with your other application materials.
- Part 2 - Part 2 includes the Applicant Form and Recommendation Forms. Follow the directions in the part II Applicant Form. Submit all application materials to the Program office (104 Dinkins Hall, Winthrop University).