The call for applications for the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program is now OPEN. Applications for the 2013-14 cohort are due Friday, November 1, 2013 by 5 pm.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Complete applications submitted after the deadline may be considered for the waiting list, but only if there are insufficient applications submitted before the deadline. Information about the program and benefits is included below the application instructions on this page. If you would like to learn more about the program or your eligibility after you have reviewed this website, please contact Dr. Cheryl Fortner-Wood at 803/323-2125 or visit the program office (104 Dinkins Hall).
Want to find out if you are eligible to be a Winthrop McNair Scholar?
If you are interested in participating in the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program but do not know if you are eligible, complete, print, and submit the online survey, or make an appointment with program staff (803/323-2125) to inquire about your eligibility. Be sure to print the online survey before you click "submit."
Only apply if you can say "yes" to all of the following.
- I am interested in going to graduate school.
- I meet the citizenship requirement.
- I either:
- am a first generation college student and come from a low-income family OR
- come from a group underrepresented in higher education.
- I am available to participate in the McNair Summer Research Internship all day every weekday (May 12 - July 3, 2014).
- I have a GPA of 3.0 or better and am enrolled at a four-year college or university in SC.
- I will have completed my sophomore year (at least 54 credit hours) by the end of the spring 2014 semester.
- I will not graduate before December 2014.
Want to apply to participate in the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program? Complete Part 1 and Part 2 of the application.
- Part 1 - Part 1 will be used to establish your eligibility for the program. You must answer the questions, print your responses before submitting them, and submit the online survey. Include your printed copy of this part with the application materials you bring to 104 Dinkins Hall.
- Part 2 - Part 2 includes the Applicant Form and Recommendation Forms. Follow the directions in the part II Applicant Form.