All students seeking Junior level acceptance to the Exercise Science (EXSC) Program must be formally admitted before they are allowed to continue in the advanced EXSC courses or go on Internship. Transfer students will undergo a review of their transcripts. Appropriate transfer courses will be accepted if deemed equivalent by Winthrop University Admissions, College of Education, and EXSC faculty.
Exercise Science Admissions Criteria
After 30 hours, all exercise science majors must have a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA in all undergraduate coursework at Winthrop. All students seeking Junior level acceptance to the Exercise Science (EXSC) Program must be formally admitted before they are allowed to continue in the advanced EXSC courses or enroll in the Internship semester.
All applicants for admission into the EXSC Program must meet the following requirements:
1. Complete a minimum of 60 semester hours. Transfer students with 60 hours will be evaluated after one semester coursework at Winthrop.
2. Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for all coursework.
3. Complete or enroll in BIOL 307 or BIOL 308 (or equivalent). Students who do not earn a grade of “C-” or better may be given probationary status in EXSC.
4. Submit an Application packet for admission to the EXSC Program to the Program Director (PD) March 15 or October 15 that includes:
a. EXSC application form.
b. an admission essay (500 words, 2 pages double spaced in Times New Roman 12 point font) that details the student’s careers goals and current progress towards these career goals.
c. two professional letters of recommendation.
5. Undergo a standardized interview with the Admission Selection Committee comprised of the Program Director, one additional EXSC faculty member, one off-campus exercise scientist or other allied health professional (when available), and two current EXSC students (when available).
Continuation in the EXSC Program
For admission to EXSC internship:
1. Completion of BIOL 307 and 308 with labs with “C-” or better.
2. Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA.
3. Formal acceptance into EXSC Program
4. Advisor and program approval.
1. Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA.
2. Completion of all internship required hours and supporting documents (EXSC 494/496).
3. Take national NCCA-accredited B.S. level certification exam (EXSC 492)
Students denied admission to EXSC and/or dismissed from EXSC may appeal to the selection committee in the following steps:
1. Submit a letter of appeal to the Program Director and the Chair of the Department of Physical Education, Sport and Human Performance. The letter should detail how the student believes he/she has met the appropriate criteria.
2. Each appeal will be reviewed by an appeals committee comprised of the Chair of the Department of Physical Education, Sport and Human Performance and two faculty members of the Chair’s choice.
3. Upon review of the appeal, the Appeals Committee may request input from the selection committee and the student may request in writing an open discussion with the Appeals Committee to explain his/her position.
4. The Appeals Committee will submit a written document to the student and to the Program Director, regarding the decision on the student’s status.
5. All Appeals Committee decisions remain confidential and final.
For additional degree requirements, please visit the Degree Requirements page.
Go to the complete Majors & More list.