ADMISSION POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The Macfeat Laboratory School, for children ages three to five, is operated by the Richard W. Riley College of Education as a training/demonstration/research facility. Macfeat is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), an organization that recognizes outstanding early childhood programs which meet national standards of quality. Staffed by professional educators with advanced degrees, graduate and undergraduate students, and numerous volunteers, the Lab School provides each child with a unique opportunity to explore, create, experiment, and build social skills through interactions with other children and caring, competent adults.
The classrooms at Macfeat are child-centered, designed with learning centers that foster independence, creativity, collaboration and discovery. The teachers and staff at the Lab School strive to meet the physical, cognitive, and social/emotional needs of each child while exploring ways to best meet the educational challenges facing parents and teachers of young children.
Procedures for Admission
Reflective of the Missions of Macfeat and the Richard W. Riley College of Education, we strive to maintain diverse and balanced classrooms. Criteria include, but are not limited to, age, gender, ethnic background, and special needs which are reflective of the community.
There are two application periods each year. The first period is for those children who are currently enrolled or have a sibling who is currently enrolled. The second application period is an open application for new students. There is a $30 non-refundable application fee for children not currently enrolled. Important dates regarding both application periods are listed below:
1. Applications for presently enrolled children and siblings are accepted from August 10 until September 10 for the next school year. Parents will be informed of acceptance or denial by September 30.
2. Applications are accepted for open application from October 1 to December 1 for the next school year. Special consideration will be given to children of Winthrop faculty, staff and full-time students, and siblings of children with a history of longevity of Macfeat enrollment.
3. The admissions committee will review open applications received by December 1 and notify parents in January of acceptance or denial. At that time, applicants who did not secure a space may call to be placed on the waiting list. Applications received after December 1 can be placed on the waiting list at parents’ request. Students will be selected from the waiting list in order to maintain classroom diversity that is reflective of our community.
3. Three and Four Year Old Program – The child must be three years or four years of age on or before September 1.
4. Kindergarten Program – The child must be five years old on or before September 1.
The fees charged for the Macfeat Laboratory School are determined annually by the University Budget Office. All fees, except the application fee, are paid in the Cashier’s Office, 22 Tillman Hall. Make all checks payable to Winthrop University.
Fees for the current academic year are as follow and are subject to change based on operational expenses:
Application fee (non-refundable for students not currently enrolled) $30.00 (submit to Macfeat Office, 41 Withers, w/application)
Registration fee (non-refundable, for all students due upon acceptance) $90.00
Tuition and materials fee (a payment schedule will be provided before school begins in the fall). Tuition includes hot lunches and morning and afternoon snacks provided in the full-day programs and morning snack provided in the half-day program.
Half-Day (8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) $3148.00 for the school year
Full-Day (7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) $5977.00 for the school year
After School Care (3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.) $5.50 per day/semester commitment
Materials fee (non-refundable, half due in August and half due in January)
Half-Day $110.00 for the school year
Full-Day $192.50 for the school year