Integrating Technology in the Classroom
As a teacher candidate, it is important to know what technology is available in the classroom.
- Ask your collaborating teacher to give you a "technology tour" at your school so that you know what you have access to. This should include introductions to the school or district technology specialist, a quick overview of the technology hardware and software available for checkout, and the Acceptable Use Policy or Responsible Use Policy that is in place at the school.
- Be sure to ask how often students have access to technology and what their skill level is so that you can plan appropriately.
- Remember that technology is a tool and not all projects or lessons need to have a technology component in them.
- Plan ahead. Ask for the equipment that you need before you need it. Test the equipment or software and run through the lesson before you teach it.
- Have a backup plan in case the technology does not work that day.
Ideas for integration
If you are planning to integrate technology into your lesson, let the ITC help. We have some items you can check out to use in the classrooms.
Here are some simple ideas to get you started.
Assistive Technology Ideas/ Sites
Top Educational Technology Blogs