Definition: Students will be classified as a transfer applicant if they enrolled in a college or university after graduating from high school.
The transfer process for international students is quick and easy! Many students elect to begin their studies at another college or university and transfer to Winthrop to earn an undergraduate degree. The International Center will process transfer applicants for the summer, fall or spring semesters.
Winthrop University works with rolling admissions so students can apply any time of the year!
Don’t wait to start your future. Apply now.
Transfer Student Scholarships:
There are scholarships available for transfer students. Please see our Financial Aid page for details on the scholarship requirements and award amounts. International students are considered "Out-of-State" students, so please scroll down to the "Out-of-State Awards" section. Students who apply for admission will be automatically evaluated for these scholarships during the admission process.
The Admissions Decision
Admissions Policy: Winthrop University admits all qualified applicants. The minimum required cumulative grade point average (GPA) for admission as a transfer student is 2.0.
As soon as we receive your application we will work closely with you throughout the admissions process. In addition to your application the University requires the following documentation to complete your file:
- Official and original transcripts from all previously attended universities translated into English. For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Winthrop University from the issuing institution or examining body.
- Official and original results of any standardized tests, such as SAT and ACT examinations (please note that SAT and ACT examinations are not required for international students)
- Proof of English lanuage proficiency (see below for English language requirements);
- A non-refundable application fee of U.S. $60 must accompany the application. This fee includes a delivery charge for admissions material. If you are unable to pay this fee due to Credit Card restrictions, please leave the fields blank. The $60 fee will be charged to your student account and must be paid upon arrival at Winthrop University.
- To expedite the admissions process we encourage all new applicants to send us their completed application package at time of application, including all necessary official documents as described above.
English Language Requirements:
- A TOEFL score of at least 520 paper-based or 68 internet-based;
- A band score of 6.0 on IELTS with no sub score lower than 5;
- Successful completion of level 112 of the Intensive English for Academic Purposes Program from an ELS English Language Center;
- SAT verbal score of 450 or higher;
- Graduation from a high school where English is the primary language of instruction;
- Successful completion of four (4) semesters of full-time study at an accredited US college or university;
- Successful completion of two semesters of English Composition from a US institution (online courses not accepted).
Additional requirements for transfer students from U.S. institutions
Transfer credit will not be considered if all prior institutions are not listed on this application. Winthrop University may request complete course descriptions or course syllabi for all courses you have taken to allow for a full evaluation for transfer of credit.
Additional requirements for transfer students from foreign institutions
Transfer credit will not be considered if all prior institutions are not listed on this application. You must submit an official course-by-course credential evaluation to accompany official transcripts. The credential evaluation must be performed by World Education Services (www.wes.org) or by an agency that is a member of NACES (www.naces.org/members.htm).
All students are required to provide evidence of financial support through an official bank letter or original bank statements. This document must indicate sufficient funds to support your education and living expenses while studying in the United States for the period of one academic year. Immigration documents cannot be issued without this documentation. Please note that this is not part of the admissions process.
For up to date tuition fees and other expenses please click here. A sample bank statement can be downloaded by clicking here.
Please note that in order for us to process an application and consider it for full undergraduate admissions we require students to submit all of their original and official transcripts. For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Winthrop University in a sealed envelope from the institution you attended or from the examining body.
These transcripts have to be sent to us directly by the issuing institution. Please ask that all original documents be sent to the following address:
The International Center
701 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
Awarding of Transfer Credit
The evaluation of transfer credit is conducted by the student services office of each academic area. Upon acceptance, a copy of the college transcript(s) is forwarded to the appropriate student services office as indicated by your choice of degree program on the admissions application. Information on the transfer of credit will be available to the student after an evaluation has been completed.
Please consult Winthrop Universities undergraduate transfer credit policy for more information on transferring course credit to Winthrop University.
If you should have any further questions to the information displayed on this page please contact the International Student Recruiter.