Short-Term & Summer Programs
There are many opportunities for Winthrop University students to participate in short-term educational experiences abroad. These generally last between 1 week and 2 months in length and fall into two categories:
Faculty Led Programs
Winthrop short-term study abroad courses are led by Winthrop faculty or staff members. Course content, study locations and dates vary from year to year. Students earn Winthrop academic credit. All participants are required to pay the published program fee and tuition for the term enrolled. Program fees generally cover airfare, lodging, local transportation, entrance fees and some meals. Please contact the listed faculty leader for more information.
Fall 2013: English 321: Holocaust Literature (3 hours) – Amsterdam, Berlin, and Munich
English 321 will offer a unique opportunity to read and study literature of the Holocaust on the Winthrop campus and, at the end of the semester, participate in travel to Amsterdam, Berlin, and Munich to visit sites significant to the Holocaust. These sites will include the Anne Frank House and Dachau, the former concentration camp, among others. The dates of travel are planned for December 12-20, 2013.
Readings in class will consist primarily of survivor stories with a focus on the central theme of man’s inhumanity to man. Though the subject matter can be dark, it is also uplifting as it shows man’s indomitable strength and ability to endure in the face of unimaginable adversity.
Participants should be aware that northern Europe in December will be cold and that appropriate outerwear and footwear will be needed. We will also handle our own luggage, so everyone should be able to lift that amount of weight with relative ease. Additionally, travelers need to have excellent mobility as numerous miles of walking are required as is a fair amount of step climbing.
If interested in participating in this class and trip, please contact Ann Jordan in Bancroft 264 (email@example.com) for a detailed fact sheet and an application form. (You must be enrolled on the trip before you can register into the class.) The cost for travel is $3,195. Financial aid may be able to assist with funds.
Spring 2014- Coming Soon!
Maymester 2014- Coming Soon!
Summer 2014 - Coming Soon!
Short Term Programs Through Study Abroad Providers
Each summer, Winthrop students are able to participate in other study abroad programs offered by US colleges and universities and reputable study abroad organizations. Note that each program has its own specific academic objective, length of study, program fee, and scholarship opportunities. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following programs. For more information, please visit the study abroad online portal at http://winthrop.abroadoffice.net/index.html to search for summer programs.
- AIFS - American Institute for Foreign Study - Program Locations: Czech Republic, Ireland, Russia, South Africa
- Arcadia University - Center for Education Abroad
- AustraLearn - Program Locations: Australia and New Zealand
- ASA - Academic Studies Abroad - Program Locations: England, France, Italy, Spain
- CC-CS - Center for Cross-Cultural Studies - Program Locations: Spain, Argentina
- CEA - Cultural Experiences Abroad - Program Locations: Costa Rica, England, Ireland, Mexico
- CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange
- DIS - Danish Institute for Study Abroad
- IES - Institute for the International Education of Students
- Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University
- ISA - International Studies Abroad
- World Learning - SIT Study Abroad
Back to top