Community & Visitors Parents & Families Future Students Current Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff
International Center

Student Visas

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. However, sometimes you change your plans once  you have entered the US, as plans change you may need to change your visa status to accommodate your situation.

Student Visas allowed by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP):

Many U.S. visa types allow those visa holders to study.  There are only a few visas, however, that are specifically intended for non-US citizens to come to the US to study. These visas include:
  • F-1 - for full-time, degree seeking students;
  • J-1 - for full-time degree or non-degree students;
  • M-1 - for vocational school students (not available at Winthrop).

These student visas are managed by the US government through an online database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  Both F-1 and J-1 students have immigration records created by the International Student Advisor in SEVIS.  The International Center staff helps international students by keeping the SEVIS record accurate and updated with regard to personal information and academic information.

An international student admitted to a Winthrop degree program can apply for an F-1 student visa.  Exchange non-degree students must apply for a J-1 non-degree category visa. International students will be issued either an I-20 form (for F-1 visa applicants) or a DS-2019 form (for J-1 visa applicants) by Winthrop University, depending on the type of academic program they are admitted to at Winthrop. While there are differences in the F-1 and J-1 student immigration regulations, there are many similarities as well.  

For more information on SEVIS:

Non-SEVIS Visas that Allow Internationals to Study in the US:

An international students can also hold a different visa status, such as an H-4, A-1, J-2, etc.  This usually happens when the international student is already in the US as a dependent of a parent or spouse who holds a work or exchange visa.  You are still considered an "international student" at Winthrop, and must check in with our office when you arrive on campus. 

We can also offer general information on what study and employment options you may have, and when it might be best to switch to an actual student visa. An example might be - if you are going to turn 21 years of age - and you can no longer be eligible for your dependent visa status. Another example might be - if you need to do an internship, and your dependent status does not allow employment.

We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions!

Non-SEVIS Visas that DO NOT Allow Study in the US:

There are two visa types that specifically prohibit study at the post-secondary (College or University) level in the US:

  • F-2 dependent status: F-2 children may legally attend elementary and secondary school.  They may not attend post-secondary schools.  F-2 spouses may not attend school.
  • B-1 or B-2 Visitors: These are tourist visa statuses.  B-1 or B-2 tourists, or those from visa waiver countries admitted under the visa waiver program may not legally study.

Please Note:

If you are currently in the US under a visa status that does not allow full-time or part-time study, you will need to change your visa status to enroll at Winthrop University. It is common for students to learn that they need to be on an F-1 or J-1 visa in order to be a full-time student.  It is very important to note that you must be lawfully maintaining your current visa status in order to be eligible for a change of visa status.

There are two ways to apply for a change of status to an F1 or J1 visa. You may either:

  1. Travel out of the U.S., apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a new type of visa, and then re-enter the U.S. using the new visa classification.


  2. Submit a Change of Status application to USCIS while remaining in the US. You can apply while remaining in the US unless you are a J-1 visa holder who is subject to the two year home residence requirement. If you are subject to this two-year home residency rule, you must travel out of the U.S. to change your status or get a waiver of the requirement. 

Contact the International Center to verify if a change of visa status is needed to study at Winthrop University. If you are admitted to Winthrop and eligible to file a change of status application, the International Center will assist you in this process.

Change to Lawful Permanent Residency

To apply for Lawful Permanent Residency in the US, the applicant must be sponsored by an by an employer or a family member who is already a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident.  Additionally, the US Department of State annually sponsors a Diversity Visa Program which allows foreign nationals to countries with low immigration rates to the US to apply for Lawful Permanent Residency status.

The International Center is not able to assist students in filing Lawful Permanent Residency applications.  Consult the USCIS website for information about eligibility criteria and how to make an application.  The International Center recommends that the sponsor of the application consult an immigration attorney for assistance on preparing lawful permanent residency applications.

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student who has applied for Lawful Permanent Residency status, please make an appointment with Winthrop’s International Student Advisor to discuss how the application affects your SEVIS record, travel, and work benefits.

Once admitted to Winthrop University, you must contact the International Center to discuss your current visa status and the options available to you. 

Small Shield


International Center
701 Oakland Avenue
218 Dinkins Hall
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
803/323-2340 (fax)
E-mail Us
Academic CalendarsGlobal Learning Initiative (GLI)Virtual TourFind us on Facebook