Conditional Admissions for Undergraduate Students
Winthrop University is excited to offer conditional admission status to International Students. Conditional admission is normally granted only to students who are required to complete their English Language pre-requisites.
Applying for Conditional Admissions
Winthrop works with rolling admissions allowing you to apply any time of the year!
The Admissions Decision
As soon as we receive your application we will work closely with you throughout the admissions process. In addition to your application the University requires the following documentation to complete your file:
- Official and original transcripts from all previously attended universities translated into English. For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Winthrop University from the issuing institution or examining body.
- Official and original results of any standardized tests, such as SAT and ACT examinations (please note that SAT and ACT examinations are not required for international students)
- A non-refundable application fee of U.S. $60 must accompany the application. This fee includes a delivery charge for admissions material. If you are unable to pay this fee due to Credit Card restrictions, please leave the fields blank. The $60 fee will be charged to your student account and must be paid upon arrival at Winthrop University.
- To expedite the admissions process we encourage all new applicants to send us their completed application package at time of application, including all necessary official documents as described above.
All students are required to provide evidence of financial support through an official bank letter or original bank statements. This document must indicate sufficient funds to support your education and living expenses while studying in the United States for the period of one academic year. Immigration documents cannot be issued without this documentation. Please note that this is not part of the admissions process.
For up to date information on the financial obligations of international students please click here.
Please note that in order for us to process an application and consider it for full undergraduate admissions we require students to submit all of their original and official transcripts. For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Winthrop University in a sealed envelope from the institution you attended or from the examining body.
These transcripts have to be sent to us directly by the issuing institution. Please ask that all original documents be sent to the following address:
Office of Admissions, Joynes Hall
701 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
Upon completion the admissions steps above an admissions decision will be made. If you are granted conditional admission you will be required to then complete one of the following English language requirements to commence your education at Winthrop University.
English Language Requirement
Please complete one of the following English language requirements:
- Successful completion of level 112 of the Intensive English for Academic Purposes Program from an ELS English Language Center;
- A TOEFL score of at least 520 paper-based or 68 internet-based;
- A band score of 6.0 on IELTS with no sub score lower than 5;
- SAT verbal score of 450 or higher;
- Graduation from a high school where English is the primary language of instruction;
- Successful completion of four (4) semesters of full-time study at an accredited US college or university;
- Successful completion of two semesters of English Composition from a US institution (online courses not accepted).
Upon successfully obtaining one of the above set requirements you will be granted full admission to Winthrop University.
Conditional Admissions for Graduate Students
If you are a prospective student looking to pursue a graduate degree please contact the Graduate School at Winthrop University through the contact details listed below:
Graduate School, 209 Tillman Hall
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
Phone: +1/803/323-2204; +1/800/411-7041 (toll free – USA only)
If you should have any further questions to the information displayed on this page please contact the Office of Admissions.