Winthrop University is located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, about 25 kilometers south of Charlotte, North Carolina. Winthrop’s campus is on the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places and offers a college-town setting with its tree-lined campus and traditional buildings. Winthrop thrives as a community of learners who engage in their educational pursuits in spacious academic facilities, enhanced with the most up-to-date technology, and in research laboratories and performance venues suitably equipped for rising professionals. The campus' computing infrastructure provides a state-of-the-art learning environment; including high-speed Internet access from all campus buildings and residence hall rooms, and wireless internet access at most locations.
Rock Hill is located between the Appalachian Mountains (2 hour drive) and the Atlantic Ocean (2.5 hour drive) and between Washington, District of Columbia and Atlanta, Georgia. Rock Hill is close enough to Charlotte to provide the benefits of a big city, including extensive shopping and eating options, entertainment, museums and professional sporting teams and events.
South Carolina Climate
At Winthrop, students enjoy four distinct seasons and a moderate climate. The coldest month is January and the hottest month is July. Temperatures in January range from highs of 50.8 F (10.5C) to 31.8 F (0C). In July, temperatures range from 89.2 F (38.8C) to 69.0F (20.5C).
Within Walking Distance from Campus
- Winthrop Lake – 325 acres of land with many recreational facilities, including the Winthrop Coliseum for basketball games, a nine-hole golf course, a disc golf course, tennis courts and a track and soccer complex
- Winthrop Commons – a shopping center with a pharmacy, convenience store, shops and restaurants, located just two short blocks from campus
- Various Restaurants – local favorites along with national franchises like McDonalds are across from campus and along Cherry Road.
- Downtown Rock Hill – Rock Hill’s downtown area, with pubs, ethnic restaurants and stores.
A Bicycle Ride Away from Campus
- Manchester Village – a new development with cinema, shops and restaurants
- Galleria Mall/Wal-Mart – shopping mall with a variety of clothing, shoes, accessory store options.
Less thank an Hours Driving Distance from Campus
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Carowinds (105-acre water and amusement park)
- Discovery Place, Mint Museum of Art, Levine Museum of the New South, N.C. Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, NASCAR Hall of Fame, Carolina Panthers (NFL), Charlotte Bobcats (NBA), Charlotte Knights (Baseball)venues.
- Historic Brattonsville (where scenes were filmed for the movie “The Patriot”)
- Kings Mountain National and State Park
Check out what Rock Hill and Charlotte have to offer: www.visityorkcounty.com, www.charlottesgotalot.com.
Transportation to and from Winthrop
Rock Hill, which is located within York County is conveniently located on I-77, a major north/south interstate highway.
There is a Greyhound bus stop in Rock Hill 4.3 miles (6.9 kilometers) from the Winthrop campus. Winthrop is 11 minutes south of the bus stop on Cherry Road.
Rail travel is available through Amtrak in Charlotte, NC, which is approximately 25.8 miles (41.4 kilometers) and 37 minutes from Winthrop.
The Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, which is located in Charlotte, North Carolina is the closest major airport to Rock Hill. It is 23.6 miles (37.9 kilometers) and approximately 35 minutes north of the Winthrop Campus.
There are hundreds of daily flights departing the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport among them are direct flights to the following international destinations: Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, England, Germany, Guatemala, Jamaica and Mexico.