Employee Benefits - Regular Employees
Welcome to Winthrop University! Permanent Faculty and Staff hired in a Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) position and who work at least 30 hours per week are eligible for Winthrop and State of SC benefits. Grant-funded employees may also be eligible for Winthrop and State of SC benefits depending upon the terms of the grant.
New Hire Orientation
Step 1: On (or around) your first day of work you will attend a new hire orientation to complete paperwork and become acquainted with Winthrop University’s benefits.
Step 2: Review all of your State benefit options and complete the “benefits checklist.”
Step 3: Within 31 days of your date of hire, email or call one of the Benefits Administrator’s with any questions you may have and to set up an appointment to enroll in your benefits.
Step 4: What to bring to your appointment.
- Completed Benefits Checklist (pdf 174kb)
- Beneficiary Information: Name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number
- Appropriate documentation (pdf 83kb) for any dependents
- Retirement Packet (given to you at Orientation)
Making Changes to your Benefits
Changes to your benefits can be made within 31 days of a qualifying event or special eligibility situation. Examples of the most common types of events or situations are:
- Death of a Dependent
- Legal Separation
- Gain Custody/Court Order
- Dependent becomes Ineligible
- Gain other Coverage
- Loss of other Coverage
If no special eligibility event exists, changes can be made during annual enrollment or open enrollment in October every year.
Participants in the State Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) can make changes January 1 through March 1 every year. During this period, State ORP participants may change vendors or, if eligible, may irrevocably elect to join the South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS).
Viewing your Benefits Information
MyBenefits website allows you to:
- View your personal benefits statement
- Change your address or contact information (for health insurance purposes only)
- Change your beneficiary information
South Carolina Blues website allows you to view:
- Personal health insurance claim status
- Explanation of benefits (EOB)
- Out-of-pocket status
- And more...
To find network providers, please visit the PEBA Online Directory.