Temporary employees hired at Winthrop University can either be full-time (37.5 – 40 hours per week) or part-time (less than 37.5 hours per week.) Temporary employees do not occupy an FTE and are not eligible for Winthrop or State of SC benefits. Generally, a temporary employee is hired for short-term project based work or to fill-in for the long term absence of a regular employee. Most temporary employees (other than faculty) work on an hourly basis, must be paid no less than the current minimum wage, and are paid overtime for any hours worked over forty in a workweek.
Step 1: To be completed by the selected candidate before the offer is made.
Step 2: Duties of the Hiring department
- Complete an ePAF (electronic Personnel Action Form)
- Access the ePAF system and initiate the ePAF
- If you do not have access the ePAF system, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 803-323-2273 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- An ePAF needs to make it through all of the required approvals BEFORE an OFFICIAL job offer is made to the potential candidate. An ePAF received after the employee has begun work will subject the University to federal fines and punishment for non-compliance with I-9/E-Verify and other legal requirements.
- A Temporary Position Description form needs to be completed for a new temporary position or one that has had a change in duties.
- Positions that pay less than $455 per week are non-exempt and must be paid on an hourly basis. Non-exempt positions are subject to minimum wage and overtime regulations.
- For questions as to whether a position is exempt or non-exempt, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
- Send Application, Background Check Consent Form, and Position Description to the Office of Human Resources.
Step 3: Paperwork to be completed by the employee after an offer of employment has been made. To be done on or before the employee's first day of employment.
- Form I-9/E-Verify
- Review and follow the procedures for completing the I-9 Forms and E-Verify
- Employee needs to complete Section 1
- Department needs to complete Section 2 and complete the E-Verify
- Write case # at top and attach two-page case details
- W-4 (employee's tax withholding form)
- Payroll Direct Deposit (pdf 575kb)
- New Hire Information includes basic demographic and emergency contact information (pdf 107kb)
- Wingspan access - to log work/leave hours and view job/employment details (request access here if you do not need a Winthrop email account)
- South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS)
- Send the completed paperwork to the attention of Dayna Johnston in the Office of Human Resources