FOLLOW US ON:
Health and Counseling Services will be closed for the holidays from Monday, December 16, 2013 through Friday, January 3, 2014. We will reopen on Monday, January 6,2014
Skip the Wait with our Telephone Triage option!
Any elegible student can call 803-323-2206 during our regular office hours,
and one of our Registed Nurses will return your call and discuss your symptoms.
They will be able to offer appropriate medical advice over the phone or schedule
you an appointment to see one of our providers
Winthrop University follows vaccine recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the American College Health Association for college students.
If immunization requirements are not met, students will not be able to utilize Health or Counseling Services until requirements are completed (even if fees have been satisfied).
Immunization Requirements - all mandatory immunizations are available at Health Services for a nominal fee
Tuberculin Skin Tests are not given on Thursdays.
Why is there a health and counseling fee on my tuition bill?
- As an auxiliary, there has always been a routine health fee that has supported Health and Counseling Services.
- Most institutions of higher education charge a health fee. Our health fee is less in comparison to other major universities in South Carolina.
- The Health and Counseling Fee supports all of our services including free counseling visits, free nurse practitioner visits, and free visits with a nurse to get counseling or information on any health topic.
- The Health Fee supports our Wellness Services allowing us to provide programming that is mostly free of charge that provides pertinent education on a variety of topics to promote healthy lifestyle decisions.
- The Health and Counseling Fee supports our Disability Services and Testing Services beyond those mandated by law for accommodations.
Is health insurance added to tuition and fees for all students?
No. Health insurance is not mandatory for domestic students and is not included with tuition fees. However, qualifying students may purchase the Student Health Plan directly from the company by logging in to the student insurance website at www.studentinsurance.com and choosing Voluntary Enrollment.
Health insurance is mandatory for international undergraduate students and the charge for Student Health Plan will be added to tuition and fees. International students who have alternative insurance may submit a waiver to have the insurance charge removed from the student account.
How much does the Student Health Plan cost?
The Student Health Plan premiums for the 2013-2014 academic year are listed in the attached brochure on page 3.
All Students Open Enrollment:
International Students Waiver:
Affordable Health Care Act - Obtaining Health Insurance
If you are not currently covered by a health insurance policy and you live in South Carolina, you can use this website, HealthCare.gov to
> Apply for coverage
> Compare plans
Specific plans and prices became available on October 1, 2013, when Marketplace open enrollment began. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2014.
Regular Operating Hours
Monday through Thursday:
12:30PM - 1:30PM Closed for lunch
1:30pm -5:00pm (4:00pm - 5:00pm - emergencies only)
12:30PM - 1:30PM Closed for lunch
1:30pm -3:00pm (2:00pm - 3:00pm - emergencies only)
Check out the sites below for additional resources on sexual responsibility and teen pregnancy:
Bedsider.org (Warning: this educational material is sexually explicit)