Graduate Certificate Program - Dietetic Internship
The Dietetic Internship program admits students only once per year, for fall semester.
Students completing the Winthrop University, Department of Human Nutrition, post baccalaureate Dietetic Internship Certificate Program receive a Verification Statement and are eligible to take the Registration Examination for Dietitians administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. In this program, students take 12 semester hours of graduate credit; six hours of which may be applied to the Master of Science in Human Nutrition degree program. The Dietetic Internship has been granted continued accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. ACEND is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The address and phone number of ACEND are:
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
The program combines theoretical and practical experiences that enable future dietetic professionals the opportunity to expand their knowledge and ability to excel in such areas of dietetics as medical nutrition therapy, public/community health nutrition, corporate wellness programs, sports nutrition, and school foodservice.
Students are required to have a baccalaureate degree conferred by a regionally accredited college or university before they enter the Dietetic Internship program. Applying for this program is a two-step process:
1. Applicants should apply through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Services (DICAS) at https://portal.dicas.org/. Application requirements are available on the dietetic internship website. Internship application materials, an application checklist, and information on the early acceptance option are also available on this website and from the Department of Human Nutrition, 302 Dalton Hall, or by phone, at 803/323-2101. Interns completing the program are eligible to take the Registration Examination for Dietitians administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
2. Interns who are accepted by DICAS and matched with Winthrop University will be contacted and instructed to apply for admission to Winthrop's Dietetic Internship Certificate Program through the Graduate School Application requirements include the online Graduate School application, official General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, and official transcript(s) sent directly to Winthrop from the issuing institution(s).
Acceptance into the program is highly competitive. Selection criteria are based on:
1. Strength of the undergraduate academic record
2. Relevant work and volunteer experiences in the field of dietetics
3. Letters of recommendation
4. Scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
5. Personal interview*
*The selection committee, composed of professionals in the field of dietetics and faculty members, evaluates the applications, interviews the candidates, and ranks them accordingly. The selections are then submitted to a computer matching service contracted by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Applicants and the dietetic internship program director are notified of the results in mid-April.
Dietetic Internship Courses* required in the program include the following:
NUTR 528 (3). Dietetic Internship I: Nutrition Therapy Inpatient/Acute Care. ACEND accredited dietetic internship.
NUTR 529 (3). Dietetic Internship II: Outpatient Nutrition Therapy, Education, Wellness, and Consultation. ACEND accredited dietetic internship.
NUTR 530 (3). Dietetic Internship III: Food and Nutrition Management. ACEND accredited dietetic internship.
NUTR 531 (3). Dietetic Internship IV: Professional Development in Dietetics. ACEND accredited dietetic internship.
*Dietetic Interns complete NUTR 528 and 529 in the fall and NUTR 530 and 531 in the spring.
Six hours of course work may be counted toward the M.S. degree in Human Nutrition; in addition, interns may take NUTR 604, which may be applied toward the MS degree requirements.