Master of Education in Counseling and Development Admission Requirements
January 15 is the application deadline for summer admission. April 1 is the deadline for fall admission. These deadlines are strict and all admission materials must be received in our office on or before these dates. Prospective students are only reviewed twice a year in the summer and fall semesters.
To apply for admission, applicants should submit:
1. The online Graduate School application with the non-refundable application fee
2. Official transcript(s) from all institutions attended for undergraduate and graduate coursework. Transcripts must be sent directly to Winthrop's Graduate School office from the issuing institution(s). We cannot accept transcripts (even sealed, official transcripts) from individuals.
3. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
4. Undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
5. Official Test scores
- Graduate Record Examination score of 146 on the Verbal Reasoning section and 140 on the Quantitative Reasoning section are preferred
- Miller Analogies Test (scale score of 392 preferred)
6. Three recommendations - you will be required to provide the names and email addresses of your three evaluators in the online admissions application. These three individuals will then receive an email asking them to complete the online recommendation form.
8. A brief statement of purpose articulating your reasons for pursuing a master's in counseling and why you are a good fit for the field of counseling (1-2 pages)
9. Background check (must be completed before interview)*
10. On-campus interview (interviews will typically be conducted on the second Friday in February for summer admission, and the first Friday in May for fall admission)*
Admission to the Counseling and Development Program is competitive. All prospective student applications for this particular program will not be reviewed until the corresponding semester deadline. After the deadline, promising applicants are invited for a group interview with the Counseling and Development Admissions Committee. The admissions committee considers all the requirements previously listed when making the admission recommendations. Successful applicants will be notified of acceptance by the Dean of the Graduate School.
* Before admission into the program you must complete a background check through SR&I at your expense. Click here for additional information about the background check process.