Master of Arts in English Admission Requirements
Admission to the Master of Arts degree in English requires successful completion of 24 semester hours of approved courses in English, such as a major figures course, a period course, and a course in advanced composition or its equivalent at the undergraduate or graduate level. Applicants are expected to have a GPA of 3.0 or better in all English courses and an overall GPA of at least 2.8 on a four-point scale.
To apply for admission, applicants should submit:
1. The online Graduate School application with the non-refundable application fee.
2. Official transcript(s) from all institutions attended for undergraduate and graduate coursework. Transcripts must be sent directly to Winthrop's Graduate School office from the issuing institution(s). We cannot accept transcripts (even sealed, official transcripts) from individuals.
3. Submit one of three test scores:
- General Test of the Graduate Record Examination-Applicant must make 150 or higher on the verbal section (450 or higher on the pre-August 2011 verbal section) and 3.5 or higher on the analytic writing section
- PRAXIS 0041 with a score of at least a 150 or PRAXIS 0049/5049 with a score of at least 160/200
- Miller Analogies Test- Applicant must make at least 380
*All test scores will not be considered if more than five years old.
Students wishing to be considered for assistantships or scholarships in the Department should also submit a writing sample consisting of an original critical paper on a literary or rhetorical/composition subject of at least ten double-spaced typed pages. This paper should be accompanied by a professor’s note that the paper being submitted was turned in by the student for the professor’s course and is, to the professor’s knowledge, free of plagiarism. Applicants who cannot provide such a sample or obtain such a note should consult the Graduate Program Director for alternatives. This writing sample will need to be turned into the Department of English.