Thesis Guidelines and Instructions
For December 2014 graduates, the master’s thesis, signed and approved by all committee members and the Dean of your academic college, is due to the Graduate School no later than Wednesday, November 26. You will be cleared by Records and Registration for graduation only when the Graduate School approves your thesis. Although the deadline is November 26th, please schedule your thesis defense as early as possible to allow for time to make any necessary formatting changes required by the Graduate School.
Here are some helpful tips to ensure that your thesis process runs as smoothly as possible:
- Review and review again the formatting guidelines in our Instructions for Preparation of a Master’s Thesis (pdf -178 KB).
- At your thesis defense, have at least 4 copies of your Approval Sheet and Title Page on high quality paper (see “Instructions”). Have all of your committee members sign all copies at that time, after you’ve passed your defense of course.
- Immediately following your defense, submit one final copy of your Approval Sheet and Title Page, along with one copy of your thesis directly to the Graduate School Office, 211 Tillman Hall.
- A member of the Graduate School Office will review your thesis for formatting and other concerns and email you within two days regarding any issues or concerns.
- If the Graduate School Office requires specific changes to your thesis, make all the necessary formatting revisions and submit a new copy to the Graduate School Office as soon as possible.
- If the Graduate School Office requires no changes, you should take your completed thesis directly to Printing Services. Printing Services will provide you an estimated cost for the printing and binding of your thesis (remember, a minimum of 4 official copies). They will have the final costs for printing and binding your thesis charged to your student account on Wingspan.
- Once these official unbound copies are prepared by Printing Services, bring them from Printing Services directly to the Graduate School Office. Check that each copy of your thesis is in the proper order and add a signed signature page to the front of each copy. Be sure to bring your signed "Student Agreement for Public Access of Thesis" form (pdf - 87 KB) along with your final copies. With this form, you select how your thesis will be accessible to the public.
- Bring these copies to the Graduate School Office already boxed. The Graduate School Office will keep the copies of your thesis and send them off to be bound. The binding process takes several weeks – you may not receive your thesis copies until after your graduation ceremony.
- A few days later, pay for the printing and the binding either online or in person at the Cashier’s Office. This will “clear” you for graduation.
Thesis Preparation Instructions
Detailed instructions are in this: Instructions for Preparation of a Master's Thesis. (pdf-178 KB)