Welcome to graduate education at Winthrop! We realize you have a lot to do, so we designed this checklist to help guide you as you complete everything required before your classes start. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need assistance at any point.
1. Be sure to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!
2. Make note of your Winthrop student ID number; you will need this for just about everything! If you do not know your ID number just email us or give us a call at 803-323-2204 and we can tell you.
3. Request a student email account. You can do this online at https://asap.winthrop.edu/studentaccount/newaccount.aspx. If you run into any trouble, call IT at 803-323-2400. PLEASE NOTE: Once you have a student email account, that is is the email we will use to communicate with you going forward! You will also use your email username and password to sign in to Wingspan, the student registration system, where you will register for classes, apply for a parking permit, check your account balance, etc.
4. Review the immunization requirements and submit your immunization form (pdf) to
the Health and Counseling Services office. The Health/Immunization form
can be dropped off at the Health and Counseling Services office, or
faxed or mailed to them - just be sure to make a copy before mailing
(address and fax number are on the form).
5. Contact your program advisor to receive academic advising. This is required before you can register for classes. During advising you will discuss what classes to register for in the upcoming semester. Don't know who your advisor is? Check your admission letter, or contact us.
6. Register for classes on Wingspan. You can review the registration procedures on the Records and Registration office website to get more details.
7. Obtain your student ID card. This is done at the Technology Services office. You can stop by anytime during their operating hours, Monday through Thursday 8:00am-7:00pm, Fridays 8:00am-6:00pm. During the summer semester, the Technology Services Office is open Monday through Friday 8:00am-6:00pm. The office is in Tillman (the main admin building), room 15. Please note: a student ID card is required to obtain access to the library, the West Center, and several other campus areas.
8. Request a parking permit online using Wingspan or by registering at the Campus Police Office, 526 Myrtle Drive, Monday through Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm.
9. Pay your account balance online via Wingspan, or in person at the Cashier's office in room 22 Tillman Hall. You can find more details about this process on the Cashier's website. Make sure you either pay in full, OR set up a payment plan and make the first payment before the fee payment deadline; otherwise, your course schedule will be dropped. If your balance is $0 due to financial assistance, then your schedule will be automatically protected from dropping.
10. Check the protection status of your schedule!! Students can confirm that their schedule is protected from dropping by logging into WINGSPAN, clicking on the Student tab and then the Registration link. Please remember to drop any courses you do not intend to take so that others may register and class size can be adequately projected.
11. Ensure that your legal presence is verified. The State of South
Carolina requires that legal presence in the United States be verified
for all students before enrollment in a public college or university.
For most students, legal presence will be verified through a process
that has been adopted by the University. If Winthrop University is
unable to verify your legal presence in the U.S., then you will be
contacted and asked to provide documentation. If you are contacted, you
must respond immediately with the requested information. Complete information about this can be found on the Records and Registration website.
As if that is not enough, you will also want to get your textbooks, and explore campus. Take a look at the links on the Orientation page to get familiar with some campus resources, and by all means let us know if we can help make your transition into graduate school a smooth one: email@example.com or 803-323-2204. Welcome to Winthrop!