MAT One-Year Option Program Requirements
MAT One-Year Option Required Program
|EDUC 600 Teaching in a Democracy
|EDUC 602 Technology for the 21st Century Classroom
|EDUC 660 Effective Teaching and Management Strategies
|READ 605 Literacy Foundations *
|EDUC 610 Effective Teaching Practices for Exceptional and Diverse Learners
|EDUC 690 School Internship
|EDUC 695 Capstone
|AREA 591 Content Specific Teaching Methods
|AREA 592 Field Experience
|Content Courses/Electives **
|Total Semester Hours
* This course is required for secondary certification only. Students seeking K-12 certification (art, music, theatre, dance) are not required to take this course. Applicants are strongly encouraged to take this course at the undergraduate level before admission to the MAT, One Year Option. Students not required to take this course will take 6 hours of electives.
** Students who have not taken Educational Psychology, Educational Assessment, and Content Area Reading and Writing at the undergraduate level will be required to take these courses as part of the MAT One-Year Program.
Visit the graduate course descriptions webpage to view course descriptions.
Certain courses may require participation in a pre- and post-semester orientation that follows the school district calendar. Contact the course instructor for specific requirements.
Admission to Teacher Education
For formal admission to teacher education, the graduate candidate must:
1. Pass first competency review at the end of summer C session;
2. Complete 25 hours youth experience by the end of June;
3. Submit a complete application to the Teacher Education Program by July 1;
4. Must maintain 3.0 GPA; admission to Teacher Education occurs immediately after Summer D session
5. Application for Field Experience and Internship must be completed in Summer D session
Admission to Internship
For formal admission, the graduate candidate must:
1. Achieve a minimum 3.0 grade-point average in graduate coursework;
2. Complete a successful competency review at end of fall semester.
NOTE: Before beginning full-time internship in the state of South Carolina, a teacher education candidate must obtain a clear fingerprint/FBI check.