Applicants for admission to the Master of Education degree in literacy must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and must meet the following requirements to be eligible for consideration:
- Have completed a course in Children’s/Adolescent Literature (e.g., READ 510);
- Satisfactory completion of a writing sample as prescribed by the M.Ed. program director;
- Submit a copy of your current South Carolina Department of Education Class III Professional Certificate or the equivalent from another state;
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate work reflecting an undergraduate grade-point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours in the graduate candidate’s undergraduate course work. Official transcripts should be sent directly to Winthrop University from the issuing institution(s);
- Submit an official GRE score of 150 on the verbal reasoning section and 141 on the quantitative reasoning section (post August 2011 exam) or a combined score of 900 (pre August 2011 exam). In addition, submit official scores for the writing portion of the GRE (minimum score of 3.5). A Miller Analogies Test score of 392 or higher is also acceptable.
- Present two letters of recommendation from professional references that relate to your professional goals.
Application deadline: March 1st