Master of Education in Literacy Admission Requirements
Applicants for admission to the Master of Education degree in literacy must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and must meet the following requirements to be eligible for consideration:
- Submit online Graduate School application and non-refundable application fee;
- Official transcript(s) from all institutions attended for undergraduate and graduate coursework. Transcripts must be sent directly to Winthrop's Graduate School office from the issuing institution(s). We cannot accept transcripts (even sealed, official transcripts) from individuals.
- Have completed a course in Children’s/Adolescent Literature (e.g., READ 290);
- Satisfactory completion of a writing sample as prescribed by the MEd program director. In the online application you will be provided with the writing prompts and a place to upload your writing sample;
- Submit a copy of your current South Carolina Department of Education Class III Professional Certificate or the equivalent from another state. This should be uploaded in your online application;
- Preferred minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Submit official scores on either:
The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Preferred GRE scores are 151 on the verbal reasoning section, 153 on the quantitative section, and 3.5 on the writing portion.
The Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Preferred MAT score is 392.
- Present two letters of recommendation from professional references that relate to your professional goals. In the online application you will be required to provide names and email addresses of two individuals from whom you have requested letters of recommendation. These two people will then receive an email instructing them to upload the letter into our online application system. It's a good idea to talk with these individuals ahead of time so they will be expecting the email when they receive it.