Applicants for admission to the Master of Education degree in literacy must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and must meet the following requirements to be eligible for consideration:
- Submit online Graduate School application and non-refundable application fee;
- Have completed a course in Children’s/Adolescent Literature (e.g., READ 510);
- Satisfactory completion of a writing sample as prescribed by the M.Ed. program director;
- Submit a copy of your current South Carolina Department of Education Class III Professional Certificate or the equivalent from another state;
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate work reflecting an undergraduate grade-point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours in the graduate candidate’s undergraduate course work. Official transcripts should be sent directly to Winthrop University from the issuing institution(s);
- Submit an official GRE score of 150 on the verbal reasoning section and 141 on the quantitative reasoning section (post August 2011 exam) or a combined score of 900 (pre August 2011 exam). In addition, submit official scores for the writing portion of the GRE (minimum score of 3.5). A Miller Analogies Test score of 392 or higher is also acceptable.
- Present two letters of recommendation from professional references that relate to your professional goals. In the online admissions application, you will be asked to provide names and email addresses of two individuals from whom you have requested letters of recommendation. These two people will then receive an email instructing them to upload the letter into our online application system. It's a good idea to talk with these individuals ahead of time so they will be expecting the email when they receive it.