Sport and Fitness Administration (SPFA)
610. Legal Issues in Sport and Fitness Administration (3). This course provides an advanced understanding of legal proceedings, legal research, and legal issues relevant to sport and fitness administration, specifically negligence and risk management. This course focuses on risk management as an ongoing responsibility of the sport and fitness administrator to reduce operational risks. Note: This is an elective for graduate students only.
615. Computer Applications in Sport and Physical Activity (3:3:0). Designed to provide experience in the uses of computers and software in athletics and physical activity. Specific applications of computers will be demonstrated and the implications of those applications will be discussed. Electronic communications, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, desktop publishing, web page construction, and computerized presentations are among the topics that will be covered.
619. Sport and Wellness Promotion (3). This course will review, discuss, and analyze promotion principles, techniques, and strategies as they relate to athletics and fitness. Students will apply these concepts to a group sport promotion project, which will require students to develop a written sponsorship proposal and make an oral presentation of the proposal to an appropriate audience.
620. Compliance for Intercollegiate and Interscholastic Athletics (3). The purpose of the course is to examine the purposes, policies, legislation and administrative organization of the NCAA and state interscholastic athletics governing associations. Students will be introduced to the history of both national and state governing bodies for athletics; more particularly, students will be introduced to the traditions and backgrounds that have and continue to propel these important organizations. Students also will be introduced to fundamental legislative bylaws that govern athletics activities at the college and interscholastic levels and the processes of interpretation and consequence that result from both compliance with and violation of those bylaws.
640. Statistical Analysis and Design in Physical Activity (3). This course is an introduction to how scientific experiments should be designed in the areas of sport and physical activity. The most commonly used designs and their variations along with the resulting analysis will be covered.