My Financial Aid
Graduate PLUS Loans
Parent PLUS Loans
Students who have not received the maximum loan limit for their class level, students with Pell Grant eligibility who were not enrolled full-time in either Fall 2016 and/or Spring 2017 semester, and students who have a Winthrop Scholarship and want to use a semester of their scholarship eligibility:
NOTE: Freshmen and sophomores who advance to the next class level may have a limited amount of loan eligibility. Graduating seniors who are fully admitted to a degree seeking Graduate Program may qualify for additional loan funds.
- Summer school award notices for currently enrolled students will be sent to your Winthrop University e-mail address.
- Students currently receiving aid on a probationary basis will not receive an award notice until after spring grades are posted. Students who become ineligible to receive aid after grades post must submit an Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form.
- Transfer and New graduate students will receive notification by e-mail at the address listed on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If there is no e-mail address, the award notice will be mailed unless a Winthrop e-mail address has been assigned.
- No funds will be credited to the student account until the award has been accepted by the student and fully processed.
- Financial aid funds will not be disbursed to your account until the beginning of the session in which you become enrolled at least half-time. For example: If you enroll in three hours A session and three hours C session, your aid will disburse at the beginning of C session.
- Pell Grant funds will not be disbursed until you are enrolled in all classes for which you registered.
- NOTE: Any changes to enrollment status after the award is made and accepted may cause a delay in disbursement of funds and/or a reduction in funds.
- Summer aid awarded to currently enrolled students will be cancelled for students who have not made satisfactory academic progress to receive aid after Spring 2017 grades are posted.
- Students who are first time borrowers at Winthrop University must complete online an Entrance Counseling session and a Master Promissory Note.
- Students who need additional funds to pay college costs may wish to investigate private loans which may be available to them.
- Private student loans should be the LAST resort as they are more expensive than federal student and parent loans.
- These non-federal loans are available from many sources. Interest rates, fees, and payment plans are determined by the lender.
Most students will be expected to have a credit-worthy co-signer to be considered for these loans.
Please see our Private Loan website for more information.
- Many students and their families feel they need additional funds or payment options.
- If you are an undergraduate student and reported your parent's income, your parent may be eligible to receive a Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS).
- Your parents may apply for a PLUS Loan to assist in paying the cost of college. They could be eligible to receive up to your cost of attendance less any financial aid offered to you.
Please see our Parent Loan website for more information.
- Graduate students who have already borrowed their maximum unsubsidized loan can apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan to help cover additional expenses.
- Graduate PLUS Loans are based on credit.
- Graduate students must be attending at least half-time (at least 6 credit hours).
Please see our Student Loan website for more information.