My Financial Aid
Entrance Counseling and Exit Counseling Information
Winthrop University is required to provide entrance and exit counseling to loan recipients. Federal regulations require that the University counsel each first time loan recipient on your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.
All first-time borrowers MUST complete an Entrance Counseling Session and sign a Master Promissory Note. Both requirements can be completed online using the Federal Student Aid StudentLoans.gov web site.
- Go to StudentLoans.gov and Log In.
- Once you have successfully signed in, select Complete Counseling.
Step 1 – Add School to Notify: Be sure to select Winthrop University as your school so we will receive notification that you have successfully completed the session.
Step 2 – Select Student Type: Undergraduate students should select "I am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as an undergraduate student" and graduate students should select "I am a graduate student."
Step 3 – Follow the instructions to complete the quiz.
- After completing the entrance counseling session, select the option to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” for the type of loan.
Complete all four steps and submit.
Make sure to print a copy of the MPN for your records.
The Office of Financial Aid will electronically receive the Entrance Counseling and MPN results within 2 – 3 business days.
Your Federal Direct Loan will not credit your account until you have successfully completed both of these requirements. Your loan(s) may be subject to cancellation if you do not complete Entrance Counseling and sign the Master Promissory Note.
Students who have borrowed Federal Direct Loans or FFEL Program loans and have either graduated, withdrawn or dropped below half-time are required to complete an exit loan counseling session.
- Go to StudentLoans.gov.
- Click Log In.
- Click Complete Counseling.
- Click Start in the Exit Counseling section.
- At the school choice section, make sure to choose Winthrop University so that we will receive electronic confirmation that you have completed the Exit Counseling.
- You will now begin the exit counseling session.