Winthrop University Masthead
Search the site or search for people
Office of Financial Aid

Types of Students 


Graduate students who are fully admitted and degree-seeking may be eligible to receive funds from the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Winthrop's federal school code 003456.

Awards are typically made for the fall and spring semesters with a separate award of remaining eligibility for summer terms.

Graduate students who plan to begin their studies at Winthrop during the summer term should review the Summer School website.

Students who wish to receive federal loans beginning with the fall semester should plan to submit the FAFSA by May 1. (September 1 for spring semester start up and March 1 for students beginning graduate school in the summer sessions.)

Students may complete the FAFSA online. Students must reapply each year to be considered for aid for following academic year.

Graduate students are eligible for a maximum of $20,500 per year in an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, depending on the student's cost of attendance (determined by the University) and other financial assistance programs received. Students must be enrolled at least 6 semester hours per term to be eligible to receive federal student loans.

Students who are admitted as non-degree students are not eligible to receive federal student loans. Students who are enrolled in pre-requisites for a graduate program may be eligible for federal student loans at the undergraduate loan levels if prior loans received do not exceed the undergraduate loan maximum.

Graduate students interested in applying for a South Carolina Teacher's Loan should contact the financial aid office for information and applications.

Graduate Assistants: Federal regulations require that we consider any type of aid (such as scholarships, grants, loans, assistantships, or fee waivers) as a resource when calculating a student's eligibility for federal student aid. Fee waivers and assistantships are generally entered into the University's computer system after our Awards are generated. Therefore, if a waiver of out-of-state matriculation, in-state matriculation or mandatory fees is identified in your record, your Award will be revised. This revision may result in a reduction in your student loan amounts.

Information about graduate assistantships and scholarships is available from the Graduate School located in Tillman Hall, Room 209.

Office of Financial Aid
Sykes House
638 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
803/323-2557 (fax)
FacebookTwitterWingspanAdobe Reader
Winthrop Home Page