Applying for Aid
Student Eligibility Requirements
To be considered for student financial aid you must:
- be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States; and,
- have been accepted for admission to an approved degree-seeking program or Teacher Certification program by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Office of Graduate Admissions; or be currently enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program or Teacher Certification program (students whose degree program status changes should contact the Office of Financial Aid); and,
- be making progress toward the completion of your course of study according to the "Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Student Financial Aid Recipients;" and,
- not be in default on a Guaranteed Student/Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loan, Federal Supplemental Loan, National Direct/Defense Student Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Health Professions Loan, Income Contingent Loan or Federal Consolidation Loan received at any institution; and,
- not owe a refund on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Student Incentive Grant, or Leveraging Educational Assistance Program award received while attending any institution; and,
- have a valid Social Security Number; and,
- register with the Selective Service, if required; and,
- have resolved any drug conviction issue.
Federal and State Eligibility Requirements
To receive aid from federal and state programs of financial assistance, you must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate financial need. The cost of attendance at Winthrop must exceed your family’s ability to pay those costs as determined by the federal processor using a national formula. This particular requirement pertains to all need based programs.
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate.
- Be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
- Have a valid social security number.
- Make satisfactory academic progress, as explained in the Catalog, during enrollment.
- Sign any required statements and certifications.
- Register with Selective Service (males).