Types of Financial Aid
The following guidelines apply to all recipients of renewable academic scholarships from Winthrop University.
- In most circumstances, Winthrop academic scholarships awarded by the Office of Admissions can be renewed as long as a student is meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress. Incoming freshmen scholarships are usually renewable for up to seven additional terms. Incoming transfer scholarships are usually renewable for up to five additional terms. Additional renewal requirements for specific awards can be found on the original award letter. Contact the Office of Financial Aid with any specific questions regarding renewal.
- Renewal requirements for Winthrop scholarships awarded by other departments or athletics are determined by those awarding organizations. Contact the awarding department for further details.
- Awards from all sources cannot exceed a student’s Cost of Attendance. The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right to adjust the value of scholarships as deemed necessary to comply with federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
- Withdrawal from the University constitutes a cancellation of the scholarship contract. A student who leaves school for any reason other than a documented medical withdrawal or other qualified emergency must have the prior consent of the Director of Financial Aid if the scholarship is to be reinstated upon the student’s return.
- Scholarship recipients are required to enroll full-time each semester (12 or more hours).
- Students whose scholarship covers the charge for a traditional residence hall room may not use these funds for off-campus housing. The value of room scholarship awards is limited to the amount of the double occupancy rate of a traditional residence hall room or the student's actual room charge, whichever is less.
- Students whose scholarship covers the charge of a meal plan may only use these funds for a standard meal plan, or the actual value of the meal plan selected by the student, whichever is less. The scholarship cannot be used for other costs should a student elect to decline a meal plan.
- Students desiring to use one of their eight semesters of eligibility to attend summer school at Winthrop University may do so by contacting the Office of Financial Aid prior to the beginning of the summer term. Regardless of the number of hours taken, summer school enrollment equates to one semester of scholarship eligibility. Scholarship awards for summer school may be up to one-half the academic year amount or a student’s total summer tuition charge, whichever is less.
- Students participating in study abroad or National Student Exchange may be eligible to use their scholarship toward the cost of tuition, room and/or board. Students should consult with the Study Abroad Coordinator in the Office of Financial Aid regarding their specific eligibility, which will depend upon both the type of program of study and the Winthrop scholarship award.
- Appeals for any extenuating circumstance should be submitted in writing to the Office of Financial Aid. Appeals will be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid. Decisions are final.
For more information or clarification, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (803) 323-2189.
View South Carolina State Scholarship Guidelines.