Emergency Response Plans
Residence Hall Plan: Bomb Threat
Annex A: Bomb Threat Response Plan
Department: Residence Life
Departmental Emergency Contact: Campus Police
The purpose of this plan is to establish the policy and procedures to be followed in the event of a bomb threat in the residence halls.
In the event a bomb threat occurs in the residence halls, Residence Life Staff will work with Campus Police to provide information or identify any suspicious packages or items construed to be of an explosive nature.
C. Expectations for Employees and Students:
In the event of a bomb threat Residence Life Staff should respond according to the information provided by the ALERTUS Emergency System and the Instant Messaging System.
If a Residence Life Staff Member or student receives the actual bomb threat by phone:
- Remain calm and attempt to obtain as much information as possible from the caller.
Possible questions to ask the caller include:
When is the bomb going to explode?
Where is the bomb located?
What kind of bomb is it?
What does it look like?
Why was the bomb placed there?
- Also, note the sex, ethnic background, and age of caller, if possible. Be aware of the caller’s voice and any background noises.
- After all possible information has been obtained; call Campus Police at 323-3333.
Do not use the Residence Life Radio System. Call Campus Police on a land line only not a cell phone (you could set off a bomb)!
Inform the dispatcher of the situation, including any information you may have obtained from the caller.
- Evacuate the building when instructed by Campus Police using “Building Evacuation Plan.”
- Await further orders from Campus Police, the ALERTUS Emergency System and the Instant Messaging System.
If a Residence Life Staff Member is informed of a bomb threat:
- Make a casual inspection of your area for suspicious objects. If you see a suspicious object, to not disturb it.
Use a land line, not a cell phone, to call Campus Police immediately at 323-3333.
- Evacuate the building per the “Building Evacuation Plan”.
Immediate communications will be made through the ALERTUS or WU Alert notification systems whenever possible. Other notification systems may be employed as well.
The Residence Life “Crisis Communication Plan” will be activated.
Residence Life, 803/323-2223
E. Responsibility and Control:
Emergency responders will have total control of the scene. Residence Life Staff will respond as requested.
F. Emergency and Training Plans:
Review and be familiar with the Residence Life “Building Evacuation Plan” and “Crisis Communication Plan.”