Sponsors - Approval Process
Each semester, sponsors who wish to have their events considered for approval for cultural events credit must submit a request to the Cultural Events Committee.
Please note: Approval of all events sponsored by the College of Visual and Performing Arts is automatic. A calendar of these events will be supplied by the Office of the Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
Announcements, Changes, and Cancellations of Approved Cultural Events
- The sponsor of a cultural event must notify the Cultural Events Coordinator immediately of any changes in the cultural event. These changes would include: cancellation of the event or change in time, location, or duration. The Cultural Events office will update the on-line calendars. It is the responsibility of the sponsor to post signs at the site of an event in the case of a cancellation, especially when such cancellation comes late enough that it is unlikely that the students will have received word of it by other means.
- The sponsor of a cultural event is encouraged to contact fellow faculty members who might be interested in the event, and those who teach courses related to the event, as well as relevant student organizations, to inform them of the event. It is hoped that such information may be used by the faculty to inform their students, and may be of use in enhancing course curricula, thus making the event a more enriching experience for the students.
Approved Cultural Events
- The committee is responsible for approving on and off campus cultural events, and determines whether approved cultural events meet the criteria for Global Learning Initiative (GLI).
- As cultural events are approved throughout the semester the Cultural Events Coordinator
Updates the Cultural Events Calendar.
- Sponsors must add their events to the University Calendar through their college and/or organization. Once the approved event is added the Cultural Events Coordinator codes the events as cultural events and GLI events.
Deadline for Submitting Approval to Sponsor a Cultural Event
- The deadlines for submission of approval to sponsor a cultural event are found on the Cultural Events Calendar.
- Requests must be submitted 4-6 weeks prior to the date of the event.
Location of Cultural Events
- Generally, approved cultural events take place on the Winthrop University campus. The Cultural Events Coordinator schedules the Cultural Event Monitors to be on location before and after each approved cultural event to scan the students in and out of the events in order to receive credit.
- However, it is possible for a sponsor to have an off-campus cultural event. If so, the sponsor is responsible for submitting the attendance record to the Cultural Events Coordinator as soon as possible in order for the students to receive cultural event credit. In such a case, the Approval to Sponsor a Cultural Event form must still be submitted and approved by the normal process prior to the date of the event.
Notifications of Decision
- The sponsor will receive notification from the Cultural Events Coordinator of the decision of the Cultural Events Committee. The sponsor will receive a written rationale for a cultural event's denial.
- If the sponsor feels the decision is unfair or irrational he or she has the right to appeal the committee's decision. The Cultural Events Coordinator will provide the proper direction for the sponsor to begin the appeal process.
Responsibilities of Cultural Events Sponsors
- Sponsors of potential cultural events must complete the online form.
- If there is insufficient space on the on-line form for the events' information, sponsors may submit a separate e-mail to the Cultural Events Coordinator to submit additional materials which may support the request (such as details of the nature of the event or information regarding the participant(s) in the event).
- Sponsors need to be sure to submit detailed information for the proposed event including information about event facilitators, field experts, and anyone that may accompany the guest speaker.