Undergraduate Admission to Teacher Education Prior to Fall 2016 (Old Program)
For additional information regarding requirements for the 2016-17 and previous catalog programs, please refer to the Undergraduate Course Catalogs.
Please do not submit application until ALL requirements have been met.
All students seeking to complete a degree which leads to teacher certification must be formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program in the College of Education. Formal admission occurs when students have 45 hours and have met all other requirements.
Students can apply for admission once they have:
- Viewed the video on admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- Completed a minimum of 45 semester hours, 15 of which must be completed at Winthrop.
- Maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for coursework completed at Winthrop.
- Completed the following core courses with a grade of "C" or better: EDUC 101, EDUC 200, and EDCO 201 or EDCO 202 or equivalents.
- Achieved satisfactory field evaluations in EDUC 200 and EDCO 201 or EDCO 202 or equivalents.
- Passed all three sections of either the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators Test or PRAXIS I or have satisfied the testing requirements with minimum scores on the SAT, SAT I, or ACT. For required minimum scores, click here.
When the above requirements are met,students should submit information to the online Teacher Education Program Application System on the SAS site that includes:
- a disclosure statement concerning criminal/unethical conduct including any judicial or disciplinary action taken while enrolled at Winthrop University or another institution of higher education.
- an admission essay that documents the student's growth toward meeting the College of Education Unit Standards. Students are required to provide examples of how their experiences in general education, educational core courses, and field experiences have prepared them to be well-educated teacher candidates who are committed to and capable of working with diverse and challenging students. See Essay Writing Prompt (pdf - 20 kb). See Essay Rubric (pdf - 77 kb).
7. Once an application is submitted,students must receive approval from the following:
- the Director of Student Academic Services
- an admission committee comprised of faculty from the Teacher Education Program
- the Dean of Education or designee
Students wishing to apply for admission to Teacher Education may do so (online only) by visiting: http://www.winthrop.edu/teachered.
* A Teacher Education program fee of $250 will be billed to the candidate upon acceptance. You will be invited to a formal Induction Ceremony once you are fully admitted to the Teacher Education program. The Induction Ceremony is held once a year, during the fall semester.