About the Close Scholarship
in 1998 with generous gifts from the Springs Close Foundation, the Close
Scholars Program supports the commitment of the Springs Close Foundation to
give back to the communities of York, Lancaster, and Chester counties, as well
as Winthrop's vision of enrolling "an achievement-oriented, culturally
diverse and socially responsible student body." The idea that drives the
Close Scholars Program is that service is vital to the complete education of
college students because future leaders have a civic responsibility. Through
the establishment of the Close Scholars Program, the Springs Close Foundation,
together with Winthrop University, enables talented and committed students to
develop the social consciousness and inner strength that comes from helping
others, as well as a legacy with a rich yield to the greater community.
The benefits of being chosen as a Close Scholar are numerous and include:
- The fulfillment of four years of college with the financial assistance of the Springs Close Foundation.
- The opportunity to serve the community.
- The opportunity to gain leadership skills through participation in service and enrichment activities.
- The freedom and creativity to explore new service opportunities.
- Support from the program coordinator and other Close Scholars.
Close Scholars must fill the following requirements:
- Volunteer 112 hours per semester in one or more pre-approved service sites.
- Attend in-service activities planned at least once a month by the program coordinator.
- Follow all policies of the university.
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA throughout all semesters.
Close Scholars Program is not easy, and the decision to take on these
responsibilities should not be taken lightly; however, students who choose to
apply and are chosen will have a life-enriching experience like none other
they'll receive in college.
We are now taking applications from the 2017 incoming freshman class. To apply, please complete the below application by May 15, 2017. Applications may be received via email or regular mail.:
2017 Freshman Close Scholarship Application- PDF version
For more information please contact Chantelle Davidson at email@example.com.