The demand and salaries for accountants are excellent and accelerating. With a B.S. degree in Business Administration and a concentration in Accounting, students are in a position to offer employers a skill set and training which is highly sought and thus most marketable around the world. In 2009, the average starting salary for Accounting B.S. graduates was $48,575 (Source: NACE National Association of Colleges and Employers).
Winthrop's accounting faculty members have excellent relationships with the region’s business community. Because of these relationships, our graduates can look forward to excellent careers in both public and private accounting. Graduates go on to become certified public accountants, managerial accountants, tax accountants, and chief financial officers. They have opportunities for careers with the Big Four Accounting Firms, large second-tier international accounting firms, regional accounting firms, local accounting firms, major merchandising, manufacturing, and service companies and local, state, and federal government agencies.
Among our success stories are graduates who currently hold the following positions:
- Managing Partner, KPMG, LLP-South Carolina
- Chief Accounting Officer for Lance, Inc.
- PWC, LLP Partner in New York City in charge of large bank audits
- Controller of the York County Natural Gas Authority
- Assistant Director of Finance for Comporium, Inc.
- Controller of Lincoln Financial, Inc.
- Senior Manager with KPMG, LLP in New York
- Chief Financial Officer for York School District #1
- Director, Finance, Administration and Operations of Springs Global
- Tax Director with PWC, LLP-South Carolina
- Tax Senior with PWC-South Carolina
- Corporate Accounting Manager with Continental Tire, Inc.
- Senior Tax Analyst with Cato Corporation
- Corporate accountant with Newell Rubbermaid, Inc.
- Staff accountant with PWC-Charlotte