Advanced Placement (AP) Summer Institutes 2014
Spanish and French Language
Winthrop University, with funding from the South Carolina Department of Education, is pleased to offer summer institutes for new and/or experienced AP Spanish Language and AP French Language teachers. The institutes will allow teachers to explore in more depth the AP Spanish or French course, engage in specialized study for one of these courses, and earn 3 graduate Spanish or French education credits. This fulfilling professional development experience is designed for current AP Spanish and French Language teachers and individuals hoping to add the AP endorsement to their teaching certificate to teach AP Spanish and French in the future. However, any high school Spanish or French teacher who is interested in knowing more about the AP Spanish or French Language program or theme-based language curriculum design is welcome.
The online portion of the course will take place from Saturday, May 31st to Sunday, June 1st. The on-campus portion of the course will be held on Winthrop's campus from Sunday, June 22nd to Thursday, June 26th. Affordable on-campus housing and food will be available at an extra cost for the on-campus portion of the Institute. More information about housing and food plans will be available soon.
Course fees are $200 and include:
- 3 graduate credits in Spanish or French education coursework.
- AP teacher resources including practice test questions and guides for the classroom.
The purpose of the course is to strengthen teachers' knowledge of topics and themes on the AP Spanish and French exams and to provide guidance on creating or modifying a course that promotes student success. Participants will explore the revamped structure and content of the exam (the French exam was recently changed, and the new version of the Spanish exam will be given this May), will use the target language with the other participants and the instructors, will explore links between AP course expectations and the ACTFL standards, and will be introduced to additional tools and strategies to help their students succeed on the AP French or Spanish exam. The institute faculty will consist of current and former AP Spanish and French high school teachers, Winthrop professors from the Department of World Languages and Cultures, and current AP readers (graders) who are up on the latest changes to the exam. Participants will investigate advanced language teaching strategies, resources in and out of the classroom, test preparation strategies, syllabus development, and the ability to reflect on experiences with other AP teachers.
- Registration is due by Tuesday, May 20th
- Participants should notify course instructors of interest by completing the interest form at https://winthrop.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6VDsouYLzbdeMlv
- Once organizers know of interest and if there is still space available, a Special Course Registration Form will be sent by e-mail and should be returned as soon as possible for priority registration. This form and its required attachments will facilitate official enrollment in the graduate course and will begin the process of billing procedures from the University.
Other AP Institutes Offered at Winthrop
U.S. History and World History
Calculus AB and Calculus BC
Please send an e-mail to email@example.com with any questions you might have about any of Winthrop's Summer AP Institutes.
Gracias and Merci, and we hope to see you this summer at Winthrop!