The mission of the Department of World Languages and Cultures is to:
- Provide Touchstone Program (general education) courses which develop language and critical thinking skills and promote awareness of international contexts, influences and applications, and sensitivity to cross-cultural and diversity issues
- Offer undergraduate programs that enable students to effectively use their language skills, knowledge, and cultural and aesthetic awareness in teaching and any other career they may choose
- Promote global awareness through curricular, co-curricular, and international opportunities - language organizations, study abroad, international scholars, etc.
- Serve as a campus resource on Chinese, French, German, Italian, Latin and Spanish language and culture
- Acquire and implement appropriate technology for foreign language learning and acquisition
- Develop and implement an assessment system that documents the competencies of students and provides developmental feedback to the student and teacher