Early Acceptance/Preselect Option
An early acceptance ("pre-select") option is available for Winthrop University's Dietetic Internship for applicants holding a DPD verifcation statement from Winthrop University's Department of Human Nutrition. Up to eight applicants may be recommended by the department's faculty for early acceptance to the Winthrop Internship. The remaining positions in the Winthrop University (WU) dietetic internship will be filled through computer matching in the spring. Applicants must be accepted to the WU Graduate School as well.
This option is intended to identify those interns who have demonstrated professional attributes through work experience in dietetics and have the confidence to immediately begin working with patients/managers in a healthcare setting. Not being selected for early acceptance in no way reflects an applicant's eligibility for the internship positions which will be filled through the regular spring matching process.
In deciding whether to admit an applicant for early acceptance, internship faculty strongly consider an applicant's previous dietetics-related work experience as well as his or her professional attributes. The intern considered for early acceptance should be able to demonstrate that he or she is a self-directed learner, an effective communicator, and has the ability to work as a team player in the area of dietetics.
Experience interacting with patients and/or residents in a healthcare setting is strongly recommended.
The application packet for early admission should be contained in a manila envelope and include the following materials (also see early acceptance checklist on this website):
- Concise justification outlining the 40 hours of dietetics-related non-academic work or volunteer experience and how the work experience(s) have contributed to his or her skills and abilities as a self-directed learner, effective communicator, and team-player; include contact information for the supervisor(s) of the 40 hours of experience
- Printed copy of DICAS application **
- DPD Verification Statement (or Intent to Complete) with DPD director’s signature
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (these may be supplied through the DICAS application)
- Paper copies of three references
- GRE scores indicating minimum scores of 293 for the verbal and quantitative sections combined (940 old GRE scoring)
Application materials for early acceptance should be submitted in the fall during the academic year prior to the fall when the internship starts; contact the internship director for the application deadline.
**NOTE: the DICAS portal closes periodically throughout the year so applicants are advised to prepare and print their applications in a timely manner.
Eligibility Requirements and Selection