Advanced Placement (AP) Institute
Calculus AB and BC
Winthrop University, with funding from the South Carolina Department of Education, is pleased to offer institutes for new and/or experienced AP Calculus teachers. The institutes will allow teachers to explore AP Calculus (AB and BC versions), engage in specialized study for one of these courses, and earn 3 graduate mathematics education credits.
Registration priority will be given to teachers from South Carolina public high schools. Teachers in regional private schools or North Carolina public high schools may be able to participate if space is available. All interested teachers should complete the survey linked below and if appropriate they will be placed on a waiting list
The courses will be held on Winthrop’s campus.
First Weekend Session
Friday, Math 30 - 5pm to 7:30pm
Saturday, May 31 - 9am to 1pm
Second Weekend Session (dates tentative)
Friday, July 25 - 5pm to 7:30pm
Saturday, July 26 - 9am to 1pm
One Week of Sessions in the Summer
Monday, June 23 through Thursday, June 26 - 9am to 5pm
Course fees are $200 and include:
- 3 graduate credits in mathematics education coursework;
- AP Teacher Resources to include practice test questions and guides for the classroom.
Affordable on-campus housing and food will be available at an extra cost. More information about housing and food will be available soon.
The purpose of the course is to strengthen teacher understanding of the calculus topics covered in AB or BC calculus and provide guidance on structuring a course that promotes student success. Participants will explore content covered on the AP syllabi with college mathematics faculty, engage in activities that allow AP students to master the required content, investigate possible teaching strategies with an experienced AP calculus teacher, investigate various resources, discuss test preparation strategies with an experienced AP reader, and much more. Participants will be expected to teach at least one mini-lesson, reflect on experiences, create a sample AP syllabus, and make plans for implementation of new knowledge. Full course details are available on the AB syllabus (pdf - 183KB) and the BC syllabus (pdf - 265KB).
Registration is now closed.
Housing for Winthrop University AP Institutes will be available in Phelps Hall for $18 per night for a single room plus $68 which will be returned in Café Cash that can be used in any of the dining locations.
Please complete the housing registration form on or before the registration due date for your institute. Last minute requests will be accommodated as we are able and should be directed to email@example.com.
Participants will stay in a single room in Phelps Residence Hall.
- Each room will have a sink, but bathrooms are shared in two to four room groupings.
- Linens, sheets (extra-long), and toiletries must be provided by the participants.
- Building has Wi-Fi.
- Newly renovated (completed during the 2012-2013 academic year).
- Laundry on site.
- Bills for housing will be due after the start of the course. If your school is paying and needs to do so in advance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Printable Map of Campus (pdf - 583KB). Buildings of particular interest include: Owens Hall (18), Phelps Hall (31), and the DiGiorgio Campus Center (16)
- Parking Map (pdf 742KB). Participants are asked to park in one of the following lots: resident parking behind Phelps Hall (32), Legion lot (corner of Cherry Road and Alumni Drive), or College Avenue lot (corner of College Avenue and Myrtle Drive)
Further questions about the AP Summer Institute can be directed to email@example.com.