Message from the Chair
10 Reasons Why You Should Choose Mass Communication at Winthrop University
1.) Our program focuses on building your knowledge, skills, leadership, and critical thinking abilities vital to your long –term professional success.
2) Our faculty have strong professional backgrounds and use that knowledge to connect students with the demands of the workplace.
3) Our program has a distinguished history—the first journalism course was offered in 1924. We take pride in our strong connections with our alumni.
4) Our program adheres to strong academic and professional standards and is one of only two institutions in the state accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
5) Our B.A. in Mass Communication is an exciting multimedia degree program with specializations in broadcasting and print media.
6) Our B.S. in Integrated Marketing Communication is a cooperative program with the College of Business Administration and prepares students for a range of fields in advertising, public relations, marketing, event planning, project management, social media planning, among others.
7) Our students majoring in Digital Mass Media have a strong background in computer science, graphic design, business, and mass media, and are sought after for their expertise and understanding of digital media.
8) We offer a variety of student organizations including a campus radio station, a weekly class-based cable television show and campus-based national media professional organizations. Students are encouraged to write for campus publications and volunteer for the DiGiorgio Student Union to gain experience and leadership skills.
9) Our students build their competencies through internships or practica located at top media organizations.
10) Our students take advantage of the opportunities to study abroad, work with faculty on research or special projects, travel to conferences, and to enroll in the Honors College.
Come visit a class, meet with our professors or students. Call for an appointment at 803-323-2121.
Professor/Interim Department Chair, Department of Mass Communication