Message from the Chair
Winthrop’s Department of Mass Communication is known for its dedication to students, professional outlook and contacts with industry leaders. Our students have won numerous professional awards and have landed with outstanding companies both here and abroad. If you’re looking for a fast-paced career in communication, journalism, broadcasting, integrated marketing, production of Internet content or other related fields, then our department is for you.
Here are some fast facts about our programs:
- Our faculty members have strong professional backgrounds and use that knowledge to connect students with the demands of the workplace.
- Our program has a distinguished history—the first journalism course was offered in 1924. We take pride in our strong connections with our alumni.
- Our program adheres to strong academic and professional standards and is one of only two institutions in the state accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
- Our B.A. in Mass Communication is an exciting multimedia degree program with specializations in broadcasting and print media and an emphasis on the web.
- Our B.S. in Integrated Marketing Communication is a cooperative program with the College of Business Administration and prepares students for a range of fields in advertising, public relations, marketing, event planning, project management and social media, among others.
- Our students majoring in Digital Mass Media have a strong background in computer science, graphic design, and business. They are pursued for their expertise in digital platforms.
- We offer a variety of student organizations, including a campus radio station, a weekly class-based cable television show and campus-based national professional organizations in media. Students are encouraged to write for campus publications, including our campus newspaper, The Johnsonian, and our multicultural newspaper, The Roddey McMillan Record.
- Our students build their competencies through internships or practica at top media organizations, many in the top 25 media market of Charlotte.
- Our students take advantage of the opportunities to study abroad, work with faculty on research or special projects, travel to conferences and to enroll in the Honors College.
Come visit a class, meet with our professors or students. Call for an appointment at 803-323-2121.
Guy Reel, Ph.D.
Professor/Department Chair, Department of Mass Communication